Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

**** me. That was scary shit. Still got aftershocks and going to take an age to get home. News is going mental here and all electricity and phones lines are out.

Never felt anything like that.

• SnowJapan Admin

Hope people are ok.

sadface

That was really strong in Yuzawa too and it lasted so long. Very scary stuff.

Be safe everyone.

I heard (not confirmed) that power is off in Yamagata...

I've been out driving around the area since it happened watching it on the navi tv thing, can't cope with all that wobbling. Shindo 5 in Minamiuonuma and like in Yuzawa it seemed to go on forever. Damn, I'm weak coping with these things.

Hoping for the best with everything now on.

Originally Posted By: rach
Wonder how bad the news is going to be when information is gathered.
sadface
Hope all are well.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

give it 24 hrs for news to firm up.

There's some terrible footage coming in of the tsunamis hitting the coast. This will be incredibly devastating with I suspect a huge death toll. People didn't have time to evacuate and up to 10m tsunamis have hit the coast around Sendai moving quite a long way inland.

By far the strongest I've felt there.

veryshocked

I was in a meeting cussing the fact that I had to sit there and moaning about all sorts. Those things don't seem quite as important now.

It's incredible and awesome (the bad meaning) how nature can in an instant turn many lives around.

Really scary footage on telly. I hope you guys are okay over there. It looks like it was heavily populated areas hit by the waves. I hate to think of the lives lost.

Be safe over there guys and gals.

A series of powerful earthquakes have struck north-east Japan on Friday afternoon, triggering warnings of tsunami as high as 10 metres and shaking buildings in Tokyo.

The first earthquake struck at 2:46 pm local time and measured magnitude 8.8, according to the US geological survey. Within 30 minutes the same region was rocked by two more big quakes of slightly lower intensity, Japanese news reports said.

The first quake, Japan's biggest for seven years, struck at a depth of six miles (9km) about 80 miles of the eastern coast, according to Japan's meteorological agency.

The Pacific tsunami warning centre in Hawaii said a tsunami warning was in effect for Japan, Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. A tsunami watch has been issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and Hawaii.

All flights in Japan were grounded immediately after the quake while officials checked for runway damage. Strong tremors were felt in Tokyo about 30 minutes after the quake. Newsreaders in the capital wore helmets as they gave updates, while office workers rushed out of buildings on to the street.