I had a lovely bottle of wine last night while watching the footie. The event was somewhat spoilt by result of the game but it was a really nice white. I found out it was some wine made in Yamanashi (?) and costs around 1000 yen a bottle.

Never had any super expensive wine.

Can you tell the difference?

I can tell when one is really not good or just plain BAD, but beyond that must say it gets difficult.

Anyone here in the habit of buying wine out at a restaurant? I generally prefer a beer so I often escape the rip-off city of the wine list but wondering how many people succumb. What's your price point?

I love wine and can tell the difference between good and bad (and a few places in between). I almost never buy wine when I'm out because my wife can't drink it. I can usually find good ones at the shop for about 2,000-3,000Â¥. The max I would pay for a bottle of wine myself is 10,000Â¥. In the past I've bought bottles as expensive as 50,000Â¥ a bottle but those are for special occasions when I have guests.

Back in Aus its my drink of choice. There is never a time when a decent bottle of bubbly isn't appropriate.

My preference once the temp is below about 20C is a Pinot Noir. The king off reds, not too heavy, not too light.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
In the past I've bought bottles as expensive as 50,000Â¥ a bottle but those are for special occasions when I have guests.

Damn I really should have dropped by :(

If its a 'grand cru' then it means it is expensive and you have to fawn over your host or whoever brought it.

Wine is the ultimate in Emperor's new clothes.

Even the experts cant tell what is expensive or not one a blind test. Its like a BS competition watching people 'taste' it and describe the flavors - come on get over yourself really you pretentious SOB.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
If its a 'grand cru' then it means it is expensive and you have to fawn over your host or whoever brought it.

Even the experts cant tell what is expensive or not one a blind test.

Sorry dude but grand cru doesn't mean it's going to be expensive. And expensive doesn' mean it'll be good.

I mentioned this before in another thread, but I watched a documentary that showed a taste test of wine. They got these wine buffs in to describe different types of wine. They wanted to see how much the colour influenced the interpretations. So they got white wine and added food dye until it looked exactly like red wine. It was well funny to watch these people describe the attributes of a red wine even although it was white they were drinking. lol

Well, it's "Two Buck Chuck" for Bobby12 then. lol

Me, I like a dry red in the 1000~2000yen range. Anything more and I can't really appreciate it and any less I feel like I should be drinking it under a bridge somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Me, I like a dry red in the 1000~2000yen range. Anything more and I can't really appreciate it and any less I feel like I should be drinking it under a bridge somewhere.

Swap red for white and yeah me too.
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I love wine and can tell the difference between good and bad (and a few places in between). I almost never buy wine when I'm out because my wife can't drink it. I can usually find good ones at the shop for about 2,000-3,000Â¥. The max I would pay for a bottle of wine myself is 10,000Â¥. In the past I've bought bottles as expensive as 50,000Â¥ a bottle but those are for special occasions when I have guests.

About the same here, though change that limit to 5000 yen.
Between that and 10000 yen don't make much difference to me.

Never had a REALLY expensive one but would like to try.

Gah, I spent years at uni (3 to be precise) learning to be a winemaker. It is such a snobby shit-house profession that is incredibly underpaid, and you are criticised constantly by the head winemakers who are scared of losing their jobs to the younger crowd - which my old boss should have as he had become desensitised to sulphur and was adding far too much, and he couldn't pick up brett character so we had bacteria ridden barrels and tanks.

I can tell the different between good wines and bad, I have done blind tests and all that, I know all about vineyard to winery - harvesting at night to restrict oxidation etc. I know about how to put some spark back in a dying wine, blah blah blah. I've done tastings with 14 grand cru Bordeaux wines from the 70's that were all brown and watery and AMAZING, I've also done tastings where I had to taste 100 wines in a day and explain each one, and they were horrendous.

After five years all up, what have I learned?

* The only good wine costs an arm or a leg.

* I don't like wine

* I don't like people who trade in wine at all, and only some people who make it or grow grapes

* Don't take people in wine related careers seriously, just add chilli powder to their food in ever increasing amounts until their tastebuds and nose are ruined.

* There are no rules, there are only marketing schemes.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Interesting Minty.
3 years learning to be a winemaker?! What was the course called.
Seems you came out of it with a positive outlook.
lol

Sorry, it's a bad back day - I've been taking it out on the internet in general.