Hi

I just wanted some general advice on where to go etc. My ski trip to Canada last year has me completely and utterly hooked on the pow pow, so I can’t get enough of it and try and get away when I get spare time. Especially from stinking hot Darwin!!

Have heard great reports of Japan and decided that was the next skiing destination.

I arrive in Osaka on the 25th March and leave on the 7th April. I know this is well towards the end of the season and am pleading with the divine snow spirits to send some late season flakes.

A mate recently pulled out of the trip so I am solo. The 2 main things I’m looking for is:

- best snow cover at this time of year

- social environment to meet people to ski with (need that challenge of someone there pushing you

I’m guessing Hokkaido is best as is the most north, with some saying Niesko being the pick. Would this suit for social place? Reading some of the threads people have said it is over run with Aussies (very hypocritical being an Aussie)

Thanks for any advice

Cheers friend

Even in Niseko that late in the season you'll be lucky to get great powder. It can and does happen but it's hit and miss. Some years it's snowed consistently right up to the end of March into early April and some it's definitely moved into more Springlike weather. That late you wouldn't have to worry about Niseko being overrun with Aussies or anyone else for that matter. It would be pretty quiet on the mountain.

The guys down on Honshu can let you know the best options down there. The higher the resort the better I'd think.

yeah that late in the season you are really playing the odds of getting powder, for sure there'll be snow but most likely it'll be spring snow. Fun all the same but not the light dry powder that Japan is famed for. If coming to Honshu, definitely go high! Hakuba, Shiga Kogen, Ryoo, Kagura. There won't be many peeps around the villages though, I'd expect a lot of the seasonal business to have closed by that time as well

To get an idea of how these main places have been in previous seasons have a play round in the Daily Reports section and the Now daily reports archives. Links on the right or that big red button up top.

The only places in these parts (Yuzawa, Niigata) really open then with semi-decent spring conditons are usually Kagura and Gala Yuzawa and a few other resorts getting as much out of the late season as possible.

Good luck!

Hi

Thanks for the comments/advice. Have been checking out the daily reports regularly and still see that there is a dusting from time to time and the occasional drop.

After reading some other threads I'm still a little confused as to where best to go?

If I travel from Osaka to Sapporo, its going to take all day on the train to get up there and that's one less day skiing!

Is going further north, increasing my chances of better snow/skiing, or are there other areas that are just as good?

Being a little demanding on you folk to predict the snow gods moods, sorry.

Just tryig to maximise my skiing experience in the well talked about Japan.

Thanks a lot for any input

Cheers

If coming to Hokkaido from Osaka I'd fly if I were you. If you went up to Asahidake you'd have the best chance of half reasonable snow. With a base elevation of a bit over 1000m (whereas Niseko is 250m) it will keep better quality snow for much longer.

I'm in a similar boat except leaving on wednessday, unfortunaley had to delay trip by a few weeks, going to head to Hokkaido for a few weeks with the hope to catch some pow then Nagano/Hakuba way for a few weeks prob round the 24th or 25th,

Not sure what to expect as my first trip but am sure it will be great fun all the same

Also travelling solo so sing out if yr going to head that way and want some one to mission with,

Yeah happy to meet up.

Looks like I'm off to Hokkaido, just booked flight to arrive 26th March morning, so hopefully hitting it after lunch some time.

So yeah a partner in crime would be good! Still sifting through my dates and plans etc. So where do you think you'll be from 26th March onwards?

Stoked as just saw some new snow (January like) and should be continuing for the rest of the week - go snow spirits go!!!

Redfen, end of March is almost the end of the season at Niseko with most of the places shutting down for the season (for example, the hotel where I am staying during spring break will be closed as of April), but many years we get fresh snowfall at night...windbuff is not as good there as say, Zao, but a nice dusting now and then. They could easily go to Golden Week but the customer base just cannot support it, not Gala which can be subsidized by JR cheap tix.

As for apres ski, Niseko is the best, considering, but does not match anything in North America...

For the resorts in Yuzawa, you will get spring corn conditions, with lots of slush at lower levels. Think Gala or top of Kagura in Yuzawa, or Happo-One in Hakuba, as they are the highest in elevation in those areas.

Would not bother to bring powder planks, better off with midfats to deal with hardpack, crud, and heavy old pow.

Hope you have a great trip all the same, sometimes we cant control when we travel or the conditions when we get there. Some of the best fun I had this last trip was riding slush at the bottom of Imori. My preference is this although Im sure others will have a different view, especially skiers. wink

Pow

Slush

The bar

Ice.