Last week when I was in Zao I was riding the quads over on the Kurohime side and they were really fast. Looked on the info at the bottom and it said 5 m / second. Looked on the info on another of the quads in the resort and it said 4 m / second and that still felt fairly fast, or perhaps 'normal' for a quad.

Anyone any idea the usual 'top speed' of quads? Or other lifts for that matter. I'd be keen to know if that quad over at Zao really was as super fast as I thought it was.

I recommend people to always start over there in Kurohime, I think many people don't know about it on their first visit and as you say the lifts are very fast and take you right up there.

thumbsup

I've sometimes wondered about this, and gondola speeds too. I'd like to see comprehensive data about it on the resort info pages.

One thing I particularly hate is gondolas with a mid-station. Wastes so much time! I would seriously consider not visiting a resort with that style gondola.

Though with lifts and gondolas, steepness of the slope as well as speed, has a lot to do with how much vertical you're gaining per second. The most relevant stat would probably be vert per second rather than distance per second.

The mid stations serve a purpose. One being letting people off and the other for example in the case of Nozawa a chance in direction allowing it to be longer.

Personally I'd rather take a lift and not need to keep on taking gear off.

The high-speed quad at Grandee Hatoriko is claimed to be the fastest in Fukushima, at 5 m/s. It certainly does feel fast, with the same rocket-launch feel as the Kurohime #1 quad at Zao. I seem to recall that the Rose course lift at Marunuma Kogen (a high-speed double?) felt pretty fast, too.

Can't think of many other lifts that make the same impression, so suspect that many other "high-speed" lifts are indeed run a bit slower. But this doesn't seem to be something many resorts report. Maybe the feeling of speed also has something to do with how far off the ground one rides?

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
What´s the big deal with ski lift speeds ...

It's not a 'big deal'.
We're simply discussing it.

I don't know how much control they have on simple pair lifts but I'm pretty sure places like Tenjindaira Ropeway run theirs slooowwwwww on weekdays. I can't believe they run it at that speed on busy days!

Nah.

Actually I like taking a break on the lift. We go top to bottom without a stop these days ... usually we have the quad or 6er to ourselves. Comfty.

I reckon if the lift is fast, more will have problems getting off at the end... effect of the halt is the swinging of lifts that I don´t like.

5m/s vs. 4m/s just 20 sec difference @500m.

Just curious. Which is the longest lift in Japan these days?

Well lifts often slow down when someone falls off either end so I presume they can be controlled.

I would guess that the Tenjin ropeway does run faster on holidays but it still ain't fast by any stretch.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Nah.
Actually I like taking a break on the lift. We go top to bottom without a stop these days ... usually we have the quad or 6er to ourselves. Comfty.

That's what older people say. wink

Lifts are never fast enough, simple.