VB: I agree, but not necessarily something you would do in your home country.

First few trips I took out travel insurance to head over to Thredbo, and I still do if it is the big school holiday trip with all the kids - what if we had to cancel the trip?!

But I reasoned that in our home country I am covered by top hospital and ancillary cover - and any of us need heli evac the last thing on our minds will be the cost.

Overseas - yes!

GN: what is your situation there as a resident? If you and I were injured in the same way in the same place on the mountain in Hirafu would it cost you less than me?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MB we're covered by insurance through the company we work for. They pay half of the insurance cost as part of our package. This would cover 70% of any hospital costs. There is a cap though on the total amount out of pocket each month of something like Y100,000 (can't remember exact amount). So the most it would cost us would be a bit over $1,000 a month for an extended stint in hospital.

And VB it's very rare for me to ski on-piste so the chances of me getting hit by out of control others is pretty remote. Chances of hitting a tree on the other hand... wink

We never take specific ski insurance, however we ALWAYS take out travel insurance, just because! Even for an upcoming trip to walk the Overland Track in Taswegia, we have travel insurance to cover the unexpected in case we have to cancel. Hope never to have to claim, but I'd rather have the option than not.

Originally Posted By: Saitaman
Are they actually 'gates'?
(Serious question, I have never been).

Well... yes, technically it is a gate, they either have the "hole" in the fence open or closed but it is just that temporary orange fencing type arrangement that get pulled back.
  • 3 weeks later...