I think he was just commenting and probably couldn't care less that you couldn't care less. Likely you couldn't care less about that either! So, is there a point in comments like that?

I wear one because I want to. Protection and warmth.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Saitaman

I wear one because I want to. Protection and warmth.

So is there a point to comments like that? wink

I wear shoes for the protection and warmth. Who the hell cares??

It's not really about helmets as such (or at least not about why you choose to wear one) it's about an insurance company that is not offering cover if you are not wearing one. To me this is the thin edge of the wedge. I can easily envisage a future where many ski areas start enforcing the use of helmets if you want to ski there. To me the momentum appears to be building to enforce such restrictions and this insurer is a part of that. Personally I hate this sort of nanny state attitude that takes away our freedom to choose for ourselves. Especially when you look at just how few people die or are permanently incapacitated from head injuries through skiing or boarding. The numbers are so small you have to wonder why it is an issue at all beyond the need of some to propogate their nanny state ideology to everything that's fun (and a little risky) in this life.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
This thread would be incomplete without a Go Native 'nanny state' post.
wink
I have actually noticed more people out there with helmets this season.

Is there another explanation? Skiing has been around for how long? How many of us when growing up wore helmets? I somehow managed to survive! Yet my kid wouldn't be allowed in a ski school without a helmet now. Are we just softer or slaves to the nanny state? Safer is always better? wink

You are right, I don't remember seeing anyone wearing a helmet when I was young. I also don't remember seeing anyone doing inverted aerial maneouvers in the park when I was young... in fact, I don't remember there even being a park. Times change GN.

Hey if I rode in parks even I might choose to wear a helmet. I weigh up risk as much as anyone (even if my idea of acceptable risk may differ to others). I just want the choice to remain with me rather than others enforcing me conform to their acceptable risk level. Especially when the risk is really only to me. Wearing helmets doesn't reduce my risk to others at all. In fact it probably increases it having a hard surface potentially colliding with others (much of the rest of me is pretty soft! wink ).

Originally Posted By: joshnii
No-one's enforcing you.
Either go to another insurance company or don't take any out.
Quite simple really.

For now. Plenty of ski areas and local governements around the world are entertaining the idea of legislation/rules to make them compulsory. Plenty of people and groups advocating that they should be made compulsory.

Wonder how much of the insurance culture comes from the blaim and claim in the US?

Wouldn't be surprised if its because of this, that resorts are Trying to protect themselves?

Would definitely have a lot to do with it Rob. I'd think a lot of the rules/regs/laws over the years have come about because of litigation issues (and not just the nanny state argument wink ).

Just proves that the population is getting dummer and greedy.

Nanny state ? This is Big Brother and sheep.

Who is the nanny, I wonder? The lawers who twist the words around for personal gain? Looks like the insurance biz is written up by them!

Dumber and Greedier is right....there was a report on one of those god awful current affairs shows last night about people who are faking falls in public places to claim injury compensation. These numbnuts actually 'fell' in front of the security camera's - a nice gentle placing of the body in position before the dramatics begin.

I am sure that no one is going to make a head injury claim while snowboarding or skiing unless it is fact - I mean the types of people that set this up are not usually the type to head to the ski fields and push themselves physically...BUT... I see why the insurance companies are trying to protect their bottom line. There are so many greedy grubby fingers trying to grab a slice of the 'free money'.

Originally Posted By: SKI
I have noticed a few signs up at places recently mentioning 'it's a good idea to wear one'. Certainly seems to be more of them.
You been frequenting those naughty places with naughty nurses again, SKI?? wink
Originally Posted By: Go Native
I've never taken out skiing insurance. The insurance thing to me is as I said just the thin edge of the
wedge.

I hve to disagree. I was at Lake Louise when this huge guy hit me from behind as aI was about to enter the lift queue. Short story, I ended in Calgary hospital after 2 ambulance rides, and two weeks later, had further treatment on my return to HK. The cost in hospital n Canada worked out to $1000 approx per day. Then there was the doctors' fees, and ultrasound, and monitoring and numerous tests. Better to make sure you are insured than financially ruined.