Not sure if this affects snowboarders as well as skiers wink

Quote:
In a move likely to enrage many flocking to the slopes, a leading British insurer has signalled that it will become the first to insist skiers wear helmets if they are to be covered for head injuries.

Stuart Bensusan, the co-founder of Essential Travel, told The Sunday Telegraph he was working to make his company the first to adopt a policy of ''no helmet, no head injury cover''.

He also hoped to get the policy adopted by his parent company, the Thomas Cook Group, and thereby push all other insurers into following suit. If successful, it would be the biggest step yet towards helmets becoming effectively compulsory for skiers and snowboarders.

His proposals, described last night as "bold" by a sceptical Ski Club of Great Britain, will reignite the debate between those seeking tighter protection for skiers and traditionalists who decry ''health and safety'' stifling the freedom of the slopes.

The controversy will be further intensified in the coming days after Liam Neeson, the actor, spoke in depth for the first time about being "blindsided by grief" after his wife Natasha Richardson died from a skiing head injury.

Mr Bensusan said: "We are working now to make it a mandatory requirement that customers taking insurance with us know: 'You must be wearing a helmet or you won't be covered for head injury.'

"As far as I know, we are the first. We are hoping to go live with it next season."

He said the first step was to get approval from the Thomas Cook board for the Essential Travel policy change.

Detailed costing, customer surveys and legal research would then be prepared.

"Our underwriters are keen. Hopefully once Essential Travel has been running with it for a few months and proved that it is the right product, it would be branched out throughout Thomas Cook."

He said with the "clout" of a household name which insures 70,000 skiers a year, even reluctant firms may have to adopt ''no helmet, no head injury cover''.

"If we can get a brand like Thomas Cook pushing it, we would like to believe that everyone else will follow suit; that companies that aren't so keen will see they have to do it."

There has been a surge in the wearing of helmets on the slopes in recent years, prompted partly by the death of Ms Richardson in 2009.

In Italy it is obligatory for children to wear a helmet. Yet not all skiers have welcomed the changes, including Boris Johnson, the London mayor, who wrote in The Daily Telegraph last year: "Skiing is about the wind in your hair and the sun on your face. It should involve the maximum communion with nature, and that means no helmet for me."

He added: "As the helmets spread from head to head, you can see how otherwise sensible people give way to an irrational misjudging of risk."

Research published in the British Medical Journal earlier this month suggested helmets could reduce head injuries by 35pc in adult skiers.

Reacting to the findings, however, the official NHS Choices website advised: "Skiing-related head injuries are rare: based on the study's data we estimate that one head injury would be expected for every 11,111 skiing outings. It is important to bear this low risk in mind."

Doctors have also argued that a recreational skier normally travels at 25-40mph, while protecting the head properly against a direct impact at 30mph would require a helmet at least 7in thick, 20in wide and weighing more than 11 pounds.

Essential Travel's own survey in November found that nearly 40pc of its customers still shunned helmets.

Mr Bensusan, who insures up to 25,000 skiers a season, insisted, however, that the move would attract customers by proving he was serious about customer safety.

"This is all about the safety of the consumer. We are not doing it to avoid head injury claims, because all our business is reinsured through another insurer anyway."

The Ski Club of Great Britain, with a membership of 33,000 recreational skiers and snowboarders, was sceptical.

A spokesman said: "It's quite a bold move. Many people don't want to wear a helmet. We are not in a position yet where we would want to say that wearing helmets is compulsory."

Gareth Roberts, the chairman of the British Association of Snowsport Instructors, said he personally approved Essential Travel's move – but would not force his 6,500 members to wear helmets.

"Personally, I think it is high time the insurance companies said this. But our members are professionals with common sense of their own, and we are not a dictatorship."

A Thomas Cook Group spokesman insisted: "We don't want to add anything to what Stuart has said."

Other insurers appeared lukewarm about following Mr Bensusan's lead.

A spokeswoman for Trailfinders said: "We have no plans to add this [helmet] exclusion." If you had asked me a year ago whether I'd ever wear a skiing helmet I would have answered with a resolute no.

In my mind, helmets had always been for five-year-old beginners and slalom racers – neither of which I count myself as.

But there has been a definite shift in opinions on the slopes. Before setting out on a trip to Val d'Isère in January, a quick poll revealed that I was the only one of the 13-strong group of experienced skiers who didn't own a helmet. When I confessed my aversion I was met with blank stares. One friend simply said: "Natasha Richardson."

After that dose of reality I caved in and bought a shiny white model – and when a crazed French woman knocked me clean out of my skis on the slopes last week, I was very grateful for the protection.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
the underwriters are keen

of course they are, its another way for them to screw people out of whats due to them after they've paid their money. Private healthcare....what a scam!
Rob I hope there will still be plenty of insurers to choose from, however I can see the salivating happening in Insurance Board rooms across the world and this will probably become industry wide

People who dont wear helmets obviously think that the risk of brain injury is sufficiently remote not to warrant wearing a helmet. Surely it follows that they would also think that the risk of paying for treatment for a brain injury is also so remote that its not worth wearing a helmet.

"I'll risk my brain to ski without a helmet, but I wont risk having to pay to live with a head injury, that would just be too dangerous". That must be what the insurance company thinks that the consumers believe.

Quote:
"As the helmets spread from head to head, you can see how otherwise sensible people give way to an irrational misjudging of risk."

I don"t think helmets really change the way people think or ski in the mountains. Companies are in the business of making money. In this case the companies risk management team must have seen an increase in brain injuries.

If you look at American pro sports at the moment, all the talk is about brain injuries and how to prevent them. Helmets are not actually helping the players very much right now either. Personally I think my various helmets have saved me a few times. Not from death but maybe from a good headache. The slap back fall in the park or the side hit to the rail. Also clipped many trees with the top of my helmet which could have knocked me out. A helmet is not going to help you if you decide to make full contact with a tree.

Originally Posted By: rider69

Quote:
"As the helmets spread from head to head, you can see how otherwise sensible people give way to an irrational misjudging of risk."

I don"t think helmets really change the way people think or ski in the mountains. Companies are in the business of making money. In this case the companies risk management team must have seen an increase in brain injuries.

Actually some studies have shown on average those wearing helmets ski or board faster than those that don't. It may well just be that more experienced skiers/boarders who obviously go faster are more likely to wear helmets but there does seem to be some correlation to wearing helmets and going faster. In the US they found in areas where there was compulsory helmet use for cyclists that they actually had an increase per capita in the incidence of brain injury in cyclists. Studies on helmet use at ski areas showed no real increase or decrease in serious (potentially life threatening) head injuries with a higher percentage of helmet use but they did find that of such injuries a higher percentage of those wearing helmets than those that didn't received such injuries. It may appear that it's safer to wear helmets but the stats out there don't really support that they will help reduce serious head injuries at all. They certainly do help in reducing minor scrapes and bruises and light concussions but seem to have little effect for those that hit hard at speed.

Stuff the serious head injuries - I hate having headaches.

I fall over a fair bit - especially when I am pushing myself to do better, learn more, ride switch, and go faster.

When I fall over - if I hit my head I often get a headache.

I hate headaches.

Insurers do lots of stuff I don't like.

They refused to insure #3 son for a broken right tib and fib for our January trip, despite it having been fully healed and have a medical certificate as such. Because it was less than 12 months ago.

I think that sux.

I can't change it though.

meh.

Recent research suggests that wearing a helmet is safer than not wearing one. It is important to understand that no helmet can protect you in the event of a high/medium speed head first collision with a tree. One should not take any more risks when wearing a helmet than without. As Go Native says, they certainly reduce light concussions etc. I would also suggest that they could offer protection in lower speed collisions with trees - for example, a glancing blow etc - a helmet could reduce what might have been a lethal blow, to one which just knocks you out. It is very difficult to estimate how the use of helmets has impacted on safety based on statistics, especially considering that snowsports have changed significantly since their introduction.

Modern helmets are fairly cheap, comfortable, lightweight, fashionable and convenient and I think anything which can make snowsports safer, is no bad thing. I wear one, but I think people should be able to decide for themselves what they want to do.

No doubt they reduce the impact the brain can suffer by absorbing/dissipating some of the shock it may incur bouncing from one side of the skull to the other, it is a percentage game. People also get a false sense of security from wearing them and they can contribute to increased injuries.

They definitely help with prevention of minor cuts and abrasions which is extremely positive... better a mild concussion than a mild concussion and 15 stitches.

But the the thing that pushes the wearing of a helmet over the top for required safety gear (in my mind) is skull fractures. You still may not survive a head injury (brain damage) with out a skull fracture but the odds are significantly worse if you have a skull fracture as well. Helmets help with these.

How do you measure their real impact though? ... if someone suffered a mild concussion (rather than hospitalisation from something more severe) does it get reported? Are the studies that accurate because of this? The time a helmet 'saves you' may never be recognised. smile

In agreement with MB and Tex. As I have said previously ,I am a recent helmet convert.

At this stage it seems that the non wearers will still be able to get insurance, its just they won't be covered for head injuries.

Its the kind of decisions grownups have to make all the time.

I have no doubt there is increased safety in wearing a helmet (as long as you don't then change the way you ski/board). The thing is I just don't care. In 26 years of skiing I have never had a head injury and I've done a hell of a lot of skiing. Is there a risk I one day may have a head injury? Yep sure there is but I think that risk is so low that I just don't care about wearing a helmet to mitigate that already very small risk by just a little bit more.

I have no problem whatsoever with those that choose to wear a helmet. I just wish others would stay the hell away from my personal choice and have no problem if I don't want to wear one. Whether I wear a helmet or not as an adult should make no difference anyone else. It doesn't make me anymore or less of a risk to others, it only affects me.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I have no doubt there is increased safety in wearing a helmet (as long as you don't then change the way you ski/board). The thing is I just don't care. In 26 years of skiing I have never had a head injury and I've done a hell of a lot of skiing. Is there a risk I one day may have a head injury? Yep sure there is but I think that risk is so low that I just don't care about wearing a helmet to mitigate that already very small risk by just a little bit more.
I have no problem whatsoever with those that choose to wear a helmet. I just wish others would stay the hell away from my personal choice and have no problem if I don't want to wear one. Whether I wear a helmet or not as an adult should make no difference anyone else. It doesn't make me anymore or less of a risk to others, it only affects me.

but GN....grownups make this choice....didn't you know?! rolleyes
Originally Posted By: Gary
Recent research suggests that wearing a helmet is safer than not wearing one.

Be interested to see some quoted sources that are NOT tainted by funding imperatives. (and, yes, I could do a google, but the statement made without sources is no evidence at all).

Also, I'd be interested to see any stats (with appropriate acknowledgement and sources) around the effect on the neck and upper spine of the additional weight of the helmet. I suspect (and have absolutely zero proof) that the extra weight may exacerbate the effects of inertia on the neck of any sudden change of direction, let alone sudden stops.

Bit of irony there JA razz groovy

I don't care if someone does or does not wear a helmet, actually if I scratch the surface of that comment I guess I actually do, after the fact, where it might have helped mitigate injury and others are likely to be affected by it.

That is something of an epiphany, I think I wear one out of a sense of responsibility for others rather than myself, weird?!? grandpa

TB, I was listening to a radio program on the long drive back from work last night. He was talking about the social media and he said how normally pleasant people hide behind the anonymity of forums, saying things they would normally not say directly to a person in a normal social situation.

In another ski forum a writer wondered why these forums always deteriorate into slanging matches, when surely as a group of supposedly like minded people ,who share the love of snow ,the mountains and in this case Japan we can't just discuss these subjects without chest puffing.

The guy on the radio program said that half of the reason for the conflicts on forums,is it's very hard to pick the difference between sarcasm and horseplay,

So TB ,gee ,I love your sense of humour and horseply man , you crack me up [ helmet thread link]

Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: Gary
Recent research suggests that wearing a helmet is safer than not wearing one.

Be interested to see some quoted sources that are NOT tainted by funding imperatives. (and, yes, I could do a google, but the statement made without sources is no evidence at all).

Sorry my bad. The research to which I was referring was recently published in the British Medical Journal and can be found here:
http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d857
and the articles findings (in case you don't have a subscription to the BMJ) are summarised here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12415801

Wearing a helmet should be personal choice. If you don't want to wear one because they are uncomfortable, look dorky or mess up your hair that is fine. But I think that people making the argument that they don't want to wear one because they don't prevent every type of head injury... or that some types of head injury may still occur... are being less than honest while ignoring the fact that they prevent a significant amount of injury. Growing up in a hockey obsessed area taught me the importance of wearing helmets. They won't prevent concussions put they usually keep your brains in your head.