Well been getting the most value I can out of my JR pass and did a day trip from Kyoto to Hiroshima today. Wont post pics, just the feelings I felt.

Distraught - that it happened. The scale of the annihilation.

Disgusted - the US monitored victims but didn't treat them

Stunned - that Hirohito saw this and through inaction there was a 2nd one.

Burnt out - after seeing pics of the fire bombing of Tokyo

Teary - overwhelmed completely

Informed - 240+ fake bombs were also dropped to terrorize other cities.

Shattered - even 6 hours after seeing it

Its a must!

70 years have passed. Not many people have WW2 experience.

If you were a Gaijin living in Japan during the 60´s (or me living in England at that time) war was a more recent memory with people who lived through it. You have no idea about living in enemy land.

Current time. It really strikes me how the Germans youth are so obsessed and guilty about the holocaust, to a point I have to say that "it´s not your responsibility, you weren´t even born!"

Compared to that, I reckon it´s pretty fkd up that some Americans think that the Japanese appreciate dropping the bomb because that ended the war faster.

I felt much the same feelings on my visit there in 2008, My kids and I spent some time at the museum and we alked the precinct. I always feel guilty I never visited Nagasaki as well, will have to fix that one day, its sad the went through the same but get forgotten by most.

I read a facinating story here a while back about three guys that survived both bombs.

After visitng Hiroshima we went to Myajima Island for two days.

Even after a great night out with a beautiful girl experiencing a "local" take of Kyoto I'm still shaken. Its a similar feeling in some ways of hearing that a person you know has passed, not a close friend, but someone you have hung with. Not sure how else to express it.

• 7 months later...

Yeah, well if you go just up the coast a bit to Kure where they made the Yamato and other ships, and they still have military, it's a completely different vibe. It's all ... well, but the technology was pretty neat, and the boys were very brave.