Sounds terrible. There are reports of buildings concertina-ing one floor on top of the other. I think the numbers are going to climb (currently 65). It is awful. My heart goes out to everyone in ChristChurch, and everyone with family that they are worried about in the area.

Wonder how much damage, and whether it will impact the rugby in Sept? Accommodation was sold out months ago - and if some of that accommodation - let alone roads and services - are gone it would be hard to manage the crisis and then rebuild in time. Would be a big income loss - like a secondary hit :(

Bloody awful!

Terrible footage on all news channels here, and a horrible sinking feeling in the gut.

Positive vibes to all our UnZud sliders! Anything I can do, person to person, send a PM. Seriously!

Not looking too promising for more survivors

sadface

Watching earthquake scenes on tv and stuff, almost unreal.

I can't imagine the thoughts going through your head in a time like that.

• 3 months later...
Quote:
13 Jun 2011

The largest tremor, measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale, was the most violent since 181 people died in a 6.3 earthquake on February 22.

Christchurch Hospital said some of those being treated had suffered "moderately serious injuries", understood to have been caused by falling building materials.

Emergency services said there had been no reports of deaths.

Several already damaged buildings in the South Island city collapsed and two people were rescued after being trapped in St John's Church, in Latimer Square.

The 6.0 quake came a little over an hour after a 5.5 tremblor that struck at 1pm, when the city was busy with workers and shoppers.

All ok?