This is the first season I've owned a snowboard and would like to know if anything has to be done to keep it in good condition over the off season.

Do you folks just pack your skis/boards/boots/bindings/etc away in the closet over summer and let it sit, or would it be prudent to leave it in proximity to those moisture absorbing things you can buy at the Hyakuen (Sorry, I don't know the name but I can't read the Kanji)?

PS I've also been recommended to wax my board (Sintered base if that makes a difference) at the end of season to protect it over summer.... From what? Ze germans?

onji, we put a thicker than normal layer of cheapish wax over the entire base and do not scrape back for storage. The times we haven't the poor boards have been quite dry when we brought them out again - but that is probably the heat here in Perth.

We also spread the wax to the edges and over them - it stops them going rusty by keeping the air away - no oxidation can occur.

Time for the next season? Just scrape and go. :-)

Extra wax as MB says will protect the base from drying out. I just put my board away dry in a board bag and store it in the top of the closet. Never had an problems even here in Shizuoka where you need gills to breathe in the summer because it's so hot and humid.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

We also spread the wax to the edges and over them - it stops them going rusty by keeping the air away - no oxidation can occur.

Time for the next season? Just scrape and go. :-)

So you actually drip wax over the metal wrap on the edges, as well as the underside. Iron it out, then save the scrape for when you next take it out?

I can totally understand about the heat in Perth, where I'm from, drying out your board over summer. I've heard your having another scorcher this season.

Thanks Black Mountain, I wasn't sure if I needed something to absorb the moisture to prevent mold/etc in a humid Japanese summer.

I just pack mines away and keep it under my sofa bed in the spare room. Never had any problems with rust or that, the humidity here probably stops it from drying out. My clothes I just hang in my wardrobe alongside all my other shit

Like Black Mountain I'm in Shizuoka and as he said the humidity is pretty intense. Maybe my location is a little unique in that my house is literally 10 meters from the water and EVERYTHING rusts. So, I must rub wax on the edges of my skis and give them a blast with the heat gun.

Originally Posted By: onji

So you actually drip wax over the metal wrap on the edges, as well as the underside. Iron it out, then save the scrape for when you next take it out?

Yes.
Sometimes we forget.
I haven't done the boards since getting back from Japan (end of Jan), but I will probably drag them out and do all of them when #2 son gets home in just over a week.
He is our board tech wink so when I say *I*....I mean I will send him out to do it biggrin

I just make sure my skis are clean, then i grease up the moving parts of the bindings and put a layer of was on the bottom of the skis and just put them in the ski bag and leave them.

Boots I air dry well after the final use of the season then pop them in the boot bag and do the zip up. I might now and again open the bag to get air in.

Never had any problems!

This is how I do it now. Fresh wax goes on at the beginning of the season, not at the end.

If I were in Japan and humidity is the problem, then I´d have my gear indoors where there´s Air-Con.

Jynxx_63.JPG

Jynxx_64.JPG

Nice quiver Jynxx

Edit:

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Looks like you need a better system mate, the bottom board has developed a big split in the tail.

biggrin

Good suggestions here, I would point out that it is essential that you pull the liners out of your boots, dry thoroughly (and some ski boots have plastic inserts in the bottom) and make absolutely sure that there is no moisture left in the shell. Any moisture plus the heat of the Japanese summer means that there will be some serious funk to deal with.

For skis/snowboards, use your regular wax, just don't scrape. Unless you are using fluoro wax, the benefit of using cheap wax (some use thicker wax, aka storage wax) does not warrant the extra time it takes to clean it off, etc. and put on your normal wax.

One more point, make sure to rinse off the board and bindings, as there can be some nasty stuff, especially if you like to ride all the way down to the parking lot...

Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Good suggestions here, I would point out that it is essential that you pull the liners out of your boots, dry thoroughly (and some ski boots have plastic inserts in the bottom) and make absolutely sure that there is no moisture left in the shell.

I learnt that the hard way.

I think that Hokkaido might be the only place that escapes the humidity. Most of Japan is considered a subtropical climate. Here in Shizuoka I think we have one of the worst summers and the humidity can be unbearable for people from colder climates (like myself). Luckily, I've lived here long enough that it doesn't bother me much anymore...

I'm the type who just shoves things aside when finished with, no organisation at all. One year I did that and let my gear fester. It was a right off when I looked for it next December. Decided to get a new jacket and boots it was in such a bad state.

it gets really humid, how I lived without air-con for 2 years I'll never know! That said, because I come from Scotland and the shitty year round weather that entails, I actually like the summer here

Some people like humidity, most don´t.

Humidity or not, I do miss the sun here in Germany, so yeah I can relate to that TB.

It is quite nice being in Japan in the mountains, hot, humid, Cascada, water melon ...