There have been a LOT of threads of late with people being disappointed with what they have found on their 1st trip here vs expectations. So I thought it might be worth summing a few things I've learnt from my 4 trips and from other peoples experiences. Hope this helps the first timers.

1. It does NOT snow everyday and its likely that you will have days without pow, especially outside of Jan. Once it warms up there will be lots of ice up high.

2. Going to Niseko to "experience Japanese culture" is a hoax. Hakuba is about 5 years behind but the impact of Aussies etc is real. Both places are a great gateway to Japan though with access, communication etc easy. They are easy and fun.

3, The mountain at Niseko gets tracked out quickly, even the BC via the gates. Hakuba, with its resorts spread out is much better proposition for fresh tracks and it IS steeper. But the snow at Niseko is sensational and seems to happen more regularly.

4. If you go to other less populated resorts do not expect people to speak English. How's your Japanese?

5. Japan is SO MUCH better then Australia re the snow, food, BC etc so much so that I cant see why anyone spends a cent there.

6. Stay a couple nights in Tokyo, its an AWESOME city.

7. If you are thinking about coming, do it! You'll fall in love with the place as many of us have smile

Hope this helps.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8. Check other places other than Niseko and Hakuba. There's tons.

wave

Quote:
There have been a LOT of threads of late with people being disappointed with what they have found on their 1st trip here vs expectations.

Can't recall there being LOTS at all.

From what I have read, the reaction to one or two people making light and pretty innocent comments has been more memorable than the original comments themselves which were not meant as real downers/moans.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
Will depend much on where you land, prospects are NOT good in Okinawa! lol

Forgot to say we will be arriving Niseko. I will be the most outstanding skier on the slopes, no question. wave

Outstanding as in standing out biggrin
because I'll be the only person on the slopes with an old fashioned one piece ski suit which I bought about 15 years ago.
So if you see me, please don't laugh; just wave.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
not in Japan you won't......the place is full of skiers in 80's or 90's throwback all-in-1 ski suits!! lol

True. Just one of the many fruity quirky lovable points that makes Japan such ace fun.

The fluoro 80's suits really come into their own when being modelled in a tough guy mountain man pose in the cafe, cigarette dangling from lazy finger and beer in hand. Headband ices the cake.

Well said Pete it's a wonderfull place. had the best time with my son's today at Happo in the terrain park and then on the groomed slope doe's not allways have to be powder to have a blast.Will try adifferent part of Japan next year.i think trips should be an adventure and not go back to the same place,s each time.

11. Amazingly, hot 20 year old gyaru do not think fat pasty 30 year old gaijin with no style, taste, or money are the sexiest men on planet earth.

Im only telling you because i had to learn that one for myself. :(

I had some bad timing with the weather for my stay in Hakuba but, the time I did spend here was fun and the place is very beautiful and definitely worth comming to again.

It doesn't matter where you go unless you book your trip a few days before at the latest, your gonna be taking a gamble with the weather. I booked this trip just over week before I came copped rain and warm weather.

Had a great view of the fireworks at Happo last night from my hotel room, the full moon and clear skies lit up the mountain, pretty spectacular!

Looking forward to Niseko tommorow!

Originally Posted By: ippy
11. Amazingly, hot 20 year old gyaru do not think fat pasty 30 year old gaijin with no style, taste, or money are the sexiest men on planet earth.

Haha nor 40 year old ones with style taste and money LOL. But they must all have mums smile
Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
I'm also up for a few days from 28th, so I'll look for you! What color?

Some sorta metallic greyish blue. I actually took it down to St Vinnies but they would accept it. True!! Then I was about to water proof the old red suit and found it was torn around the shoulder. So I binned the red suit and kept the metallic blue one.
Originally Posted By: ippy

In Roppongi...even pasty gaijin trolls can get some......
"I'm only telling you because I had to learn that one for myself"... evilgrin

You guys are sad! lol

Have to say I am well happy with the sausage-fest in Niseko and Hakuba.

biggrin

wink

13) Clear your own blasted dishes etc when you go to the on mountain eateries - those big racks with trays on them?...yeah?...Gaijin can and should use them too!