Originally Posted By: Mick Rich
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Pension Currants is nice. Stayed there last year.

Thanks Metabo! Did you have your own transport or did they shuttle you about a bit?

I drove there. If you don't have a car, you will definitely need to ask about the shuttle service mentioned on their SJ page. Probably only about a 15 minute walk from there up to Marunuma Kogen ski area, but not a safe one at all in the winter up steep, slippery roads hemmed in by snow banks.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, after much research, deliberation and re-juggling of dates, jobs and accommodation, I’ve more or less finalised my itinerary. Although I’m going later than planned and fully expect to encounter Spring conditions all the way, my original brief remains the same, namely to check out some new resorts and make full use of my free, SJ competition-winning lift passes and the cheap (seishun juhachi kippu) local trains only rail pass! So without further ado.......

Mon 14th March – travel from Furano to Niseko (Kutchan)

Tues 15th – Fri 18th - ride Niseko for 4 days including day trips to Rusutsu and possibly Chisenupuri and/or Iwaonupuri;

Sat 19th – Tues 22nd - travel from Kutchan to Myoko Kogen (4 days)

Weds 23rd – Thurs 24th – ride Myoko Suginohara (2 days)

Fri 25th - travel from Myoko Kogen to Shinshu Nakano(Ryuoo Ski Park)

Sat 26th – ride Ryuoo Ski Park (1 day)

Sun 27th - travel from Shinshunakano to Minakami

Mon 28th – ride Tenjin (1 day)

Tues 29th – ride Kawaba (1 day)

Weds 30th – Thurs 31st – ride Marunuma Kogen (2 days or possibly 1 day and check out White World)

Fri 1st April – return to Tokyo and start planning next year’s trips to Hakuba and Hakkoda!

depending on the weather and the snow condition and whether you get a guide, Tenjin might take up more than an a day. The resort is shit, but if you plan on taking a tour, you could prob spend a couple of days up there. Marunuma is fun, but a day is cool for it, White World is also a cool, compact little place

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
depending on the weather and the snow condition and................

..........and my financial position, on what will then be the last week of a 3 month winter season!! But then that's what credit cards are for, right? biggrin

Mick Rich, so late in the season, why are you bypassing all of the Fukushima resorts and Zao?

The conditions at the Gunma resorts are not going to be that good, low elevations call for slush, most all resorts in that area close at the end of March.

As a destination, Hakuba would be a much better bet.

White World Oze is a great resort, but not easy to access by public transport, 60 minutes from Numata station by bus or 90 minutes from Jomo Kogen.

Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Mick, seems like the PM system is not enabled, I wanted to ping you, might be available midweek for the Gunma part of your trip.

Yeah, that'd be cool. Lmk as and when. friend

Ok, I’m 3 days into my road trip, which I’ve felt less excited about since Friday though, to be honest, I feel safer in the mountains than anywhere else! So I’m now in Niseko (Grand Hirafu) and have been out riding for the last 2 mornings. Due to a combination of mid-March weather/snow conditions and the earthquake/nuclear concerns, many people are leaving or not coming at all which means that the slopes are really quiet (see photos below). Having never been here before, I’ve been exploring the mountain and particularly like the trees under the Hanazono hooded quad lift #3 - accessed from gate 5 or the Youtei sunset course. Today I also ventured up to the summit via gate 3 and although the snow wasn’t great, there was still lots of untouched powder to play with! More snow is forecast tonight and through tomorrow, so I’m hoping for a couple of good days, and plan to go to Rusutsu tomorrow if I can get up early enough for the bus!

Early morning crowds!

Mick%20Rich_47.JPG

More crowds on Dynamic!

Mick%20Rich_48.JPG

Lift lines!

Mick%20Rich_49.JPG

Looking down Jumbo

Mick%20Rich_50.JPG

Mt Youtei from the top of King Lift #4

Mick%20Rich_51.JPG

Hey Mick, might even come and join you too.

I am not too sure what I am doing yet. but some wider spaced trees would be nice. smile

Yesterday we had some good snow.

Originally Posted By: sand
I'm arriving tomorrow afternoon for 5 days if you're keen to meet for a ski or beer?

Yeah, that would be good! I was planning to leave on Saturday but it looks like Myoko (the next resort on my trip) will be closed when I was planning to go, so I might stay around here for a while. Tomorrow (Friday) looks good and I had a ball at Rusutsu today - photos and a review to follow in due course!

Kokodoko, come and join us too!! cheers

Yeah, it's a difficult one to call. I've got to be back in Kanagawa by the end of the month and really wanted to check out some Honshu resorts on the way but I guess the sensible thing would be to stay put. Will sleep on it tonight!!

Originally Posted By: griller
You might not have much choice if many are closed.
Will be interesting to see what happens after the upcoming 3 day holiday.

I'm guessing that most of the resorts will think of it as their final swansong of the season and shut up shop thereafter. Understandable given the circumstances, in which case I'll just have to go on an onsen tour instead!!