So Ive been thinking about this for a while now. I was at the mogul world cup a few weekends ago and was amazed at the difference in speed and tricks between the men and women.

The slowest man was about the same speed as the fastest women and the guys were pulling misty 720s etc off these jumps (ok mostly in practice) where as the womens 360s just looked lame in comparrison.

All you chauvanistic dickheads stop rubbing your hands with glee but if youve got something useful to say post some sensible ideas here. I mean is the human body really THAT different?

I seem to remember hearing that men have more short term power, whereas women have more stamina. That might explain the phenomenon you describe, and also why the girls keep trying.

Also, if women use dirty words while scratching their intimate bits in the lift line, men are going to go on about it for days afterwards, whereas if men do the same, women will forget about it as quickly as possible. I'm sure there are more, but I don't want to get slotted into the 'dickhead' category straight away.

i think you could look at the differences in the hormone levels of men and women. the testerone in men may causes them to seek dominance and do a lot of risk-taking. trying to hit crazy jumps is risking injury, but if you can do it, you can earn the respect of your peers and possibly become a leader of the group. women, on the other hand, are more concerned with cooperative behaviors than competitive, so they aren't going to be as determined to keep practicing big tricks or to race their buddies down a hill. ok, i really dont know what i'm talking about, but does anyone else agree?

awright, i'll try again.

the difference may be noticeable in power/technique sports like skiing, but look at those activities mainly power based. the gap widens dramatically. i doubt any amount of training could help a woman approach men in lifting (note the size differences in body building too).

testosterone helps build muscle, and no doubt has other influences which aid in ummm physical prowess.

our bodies have minor chemical differences that result in physical differences, but they fit together nicely.

------------------------------------------------

oh right, nekobi, u said what i wanted to say, but a bit better. i agree.

one of the reasons (esp if you are talking about 360s), is that the center of gravity of men are higher up, whereas women's c.g are around their hips.

If when you are doing a 360 and swinging your body around, men will have ALOT more mass & momentum then a women for that rotation, thus you get alot more spin out of it.

just a thought.

its just like that chair lifting game people play, how women do it and a men cant coz our c.g is different.

But can hormones really make THAT big of a difference? I mean say a woman was going to pump herself full of testosterone (and grow a beard ;\) )muscle up etc then would she theoreticly be able to pull what the men were?

Or is it more of a mental thing like Nekobi is saying? Its all in the mind etc?

just wondering

If it were all in the mind, then there would be women who had the mental capacity for it and thus who would be performing at a higher level. But it's not, so they don't. Don't you think?

men not only make testosterone, but also have the receptors to use it in larger amounts.

women, i would expect, have much lower levels of testosterone receptor, and less ability to up-regulate them. this means u cant just top up on exogenous hormone.

along with the other reasons.

i'm not saying it's a mental thing, but that differences in levels of hormones produce different behaviors. humans are complex, so there are a lot of other factors involved. but in animals with more simple nervous systems, a change in hormones can result in dramatic changes in behaviors. for instance, i remember reading in college about how if you remove the testes of mice, they then display the sexual behavior of female mice, a specific position called lordosis (sp?) rather than mounting. ok, so this doesn't really relate to tricks on the snow, but it's kinda interesting. and i wonder what the gender differences in skiers and boarders are before they hit puberty...

I have a lot of respect for women skiers. I used to be able to ride with Alisha Cline at my home resort. There were not too many people better than her. At the time she was a 3 sport winter athlete, tele, snowboard and 10% of the time sking.

She had muscles, and that is one of the keys.

Weight for speed, different balance points etc..

As for the psychological part... Men tend to push themselves more. There are a lot of good women out there.

My wife is getting better daily ripping powder and tring to see new lines but her problems are with her body. She cant stay warm she looses energy fast and she still looks at the objects and not the spaces.

For snowboarders one name stands out Victoria Jealious (spelling error maybe pro burton rider).

Got to ski with here dad a lot cool dude.

Skiers the above mentioned Alisha, Kriston Ullmer, Wender Fisher are just a few names of ripping chicks.

I think that most of the key reasons have been discussed already - greater weight, greater number of fast-twitch (power) muscle fibers, different center of gravity, attitude.

It should also be noted that becuase of hormones, men have stronger bones than women.

Also - one form of intelligence that people have is physical intelligence - the ability of an animal to adapt and survive in his/her physical environment, and as we are evolved from hunters - predominantly males, and gatherers - predominantly women, the competitive athlete males are going to have that ancestral advantage over their women counterparts in a sport that is much more similar to hunting than gathering - now in a sport that is more like gathering . . .

anyone still following me ?

I love watching females snowboard, but I think it's a different game. Despite Kelly Clark's 900's I think that women's style is much more graceful, and less hucky-spinny on a snowboard. Victoria, and Janna, and Tina, and Tara - especially Tara - I love watching the really tiny girls just shred and twist and turn and stomp tricks that I could never dream of doing, but what grabs me tha most is their style.

As for mogul-skiing, I think it looks stupid and cloddish, so don't ask me about that.

Don`t think chicks are limited to 3s. Some of the jibbing chix like Sarah Burke and Kristi Lekinski(sp?) bust bigger trix, Rodeo 5s etc. The fact that their boyfriends are Phil Belanger and J.P. Auclair respectively MAY have something to do with the reason why they can do these trix.

It's all in the 'consequence inhibitors', you'll find the drip for this performance enhancer hanging between the glutamous maximus.

Men become increasing immune to it's effects with the aging process, and learn to mis-trust it blow by painful blow.