i started when i was fairly old (i dont remember the specifics, but definitely >12 probably more) and i truly wish i had started younger. my guess would be that kids could ski at a decent enough level to not be supervised when they are around 7 (however that isn't to say they should have supervision, but i mean they can hold their own on the skiis)

do you have alot of experience skiing, slimy pete ? I started when I was maybe 12 or 13, and I loved it right away. I wished I could have started younger. I was jealous of the younger kids who had started early and ripped.

If I have kids I won't force them to ride the snow, but I can remember when I was a kid, I always wanted to stand up on my sled (never worked) so I think snowboarding at a sledding hill, combined with sledding is a good start. kids packages are sooo cheap, and you can use a slightly bigger than necessary board, and slightly bigger than neccessary boots (extra socks) for a few seasons.

the earlier the better. i started skiing when i was about 5 during a vacation with my parents. they just plopped me in ski school all day long while they enjoyed going off on their own. i loved it- had a great instructor and it was fun being with other kids my age.

• 3 weeks later...

If they can walk then get them on the snow. I would think 3 or 4 and they could get around a bit. Just getting them out there with you is best. I plan to spilt the ski day with my wife. one looks after the kid the other skis.

Definitely younger the better - but they shouldn't be forced esp. if they seem scared. Playing in the snow is OK. My 4yr old daughter began snow-ploughing this year after 2years of sleds and games. She had 2 great days of lessons early season at Arai, which set her in the mode. Afterwards at other resorts she pestered us about going on lifts with us, so we finally gave in. Now at the end of the season (only 12 days spent) she can negotiate a 1km course, follow a snaking line and stop all with good control. No one taught her to turn. She just followed me and did it. Oh to be young. This was a successful approach in our case. SO I think - Have some LESSONS, give them some LEEWAY, teach them on-course NOUS (necessary for self preservation) while keeping an eye on them ALL the time. Bit of a big ask, but Feral kids on slope = disaster waiting. Happy Daze. \:\)

Seems to be a preference for teaching kids to ski first and then maybe boarding after the get the hang of sliding on the snow. I've seen a couple of 3-4 yr olds on snowboards, but they didn't seem to understand what was required. Seems there is no min age for skiing though. Some of the kids at Iwappara looked like they were just of out nappies.

What do you guys think of the reigns people sometimes use to teach little kids to ski? Kinda a harness device with two leashes coming off the back.

The parent holding the reigns really must know how to ski though. I saw one Otoosan at Cortina on snowlerblades trying to harness his child. Poor kid kept getting knocked over and hung up by his father's insistence on try to carve on the blades.

I don't see the need to start so young. There are plenty of other things for kids to do, and resorts are not particularly safe places one way or another. A leash is no substitute for innate common sense. Plus it must be a real bore for the parent.

I don't like it when I see parents taking out the kids just out of nappees. I think it is too early, and the kids don't seem to be enjoying it. Things like snowboarding or skiing is all about fun, and I think iti should stay as that.