The Snow Monkeys at Jigokudani (near Shiga Kogen, Nagano) - early February 2011

I went to see the monkeys at Jigokudani, near Shiga Kogen in Nagano while I was over at Myoko yesterday.

I have been a few times, but it doesn't get old. Those monkeys chilling out in the onsen and playing in the snow are fun to watch and very photogenic as well.

For the most part they ignore all the people staring at them and taking photos. There was one dude who I presume was the boss looking suitably 'boss'y and he wasn't keen on people getting too close giving people a bit of a scary snarl when they got close. Apart from that though they let you get up close and just chill out.

Highly recommended if you are visiting Shiga Kogen or Nozawa or Myoko or Nagano.

muikabochi_2792.JPG

muikabochi_2795.JPG

muikabochi_2786.JPG

muikabochi_2828.JPG

muikabochi_2803.JPG

muikabochi_2826.JPG

muikabochi_2825.JPG

muikabochi_2799.JPG

muikabochi_2824.JPG

muikabochi_2806.JPG

muikabochi_2820.JPG

muikabochi_2819.JPG

muikabochi_2817.JPG

muikabochi_2816.JPG

muikabochi_2815.JPG

muikabochi_2814.JPG

muikabochi_2812.JPG

muikabochi_2811.JPG

muikabochi_2810.JPG

muikabochi_2808.JPG

muikabochi_2807.JPG

muikabochi_2805.JPG

muikabochi_2801.JPG

muikabochi_2800.JPG

muikabochi_2797.JPG

muikabochi_2791.JPG

muikabochi_2790.JPG

muikabochi_2787.JPG

muikabochi_2785.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here is some vid   Chillin'     Monkey fight-o!  

Thanks.

Yes, Rob, I actually remembered the talk of buckets when I was walking up there. Unfortunately I didn't remember to take one. I did take the cheese though as you can see in the Cheese Gallery thread.

wink

It's a 20 minute or so walk there from the car park and 20 minutes back. And I stayed with the monkeys perhaps an hour. During that time I reckon I saw at a guess 150 or so people and I would guess 80% of them were non Japanese. I heard Aussie accents, US accents, Korean, Chinese and Thai as well as Sarugo.