Alright, well it seems that my laces are slowly dying. I'm hoping to make it until the end of the season without having to repair them. I haven't really looked into how common a problem this is but the laces on both my boots have started fraying in the middle. Basically, it seems like there is a protective black outer lace that is coming apart. I'm thinking about just putting some black electrical tape around it as a temporary fix. Does anyone have any better ideas? Have a look at the pics and see if you can come up with anything.

Cheers

B

Black%20Mountain_136.JPG

Black%20Mountain_135.JPG

Black%20Mountain_134.JPG

Mate,

I think you are better off calling Burton Service and buying a new inner lace. Is there one in Tokyo?

I think the outer layer is also part of the structural strength. It´s just a matter of time... snap! Electrical tape will at lease protect from the friction wear, but won´t that snagg when tightening?

Thanks guys. I actually just finished sending Burton Japan (it's in Shibuya) an email about my problem. I've read that it's possible to replace the laces... just worried about cost and time now I guess. Hopefully I can do it myself... I'm a snowboard otaku and like doing stuff like that!

Had a simular problem with my old Salomon boots. There is no fix and they eventually went. Most good snowboard shops will have loads of spare laces and usually do it for free (well in Europe anyway).

But get them fixed ASAP otherwise they will go on the morning of a bluebird day after 50cm of fresh snow.

Dude, they are about to die. The outer shell of the laces is part of what makes them strong. Order a pair of laces right away.

The trick is to harden about an inch of the tips with crazy glue, that way they will be easier to push through. If you can't get it in, and your local burton rep can't get it in, you can send them to Burton Japan and they will be happy to give it a try.

Mr Snowhunter has just had exactly the same problem. Went to tighten his boots today and now they look exactly like yours BM. Our problem is that we are in Furano so I can't see anyone here being able to fix them so we will try the tape and hope they last until we get to Niseko in a week.

Sorry I didn't notice your post earlier SH. I think it is very rare that any shops will carry the laces. Especially the one's I need as my boots are the 2008 model (2009 or after use a different lace). Anyway, I had to order mine and it took a week AND they came in the wrong colour but according to Burton that is all have in stock... Anyway, after struggling with them for 30 mins I finally switched them out! It seems that the 2009 or later version is really easy to do but for mine I needed to use thin picture wire to get the laces through the holes.

All set for the weekend now! Hope Mr. SH didn't have the same difficulty as me! wink