• 2 weeks later...

Snapper, I`m a jealous man! Tell us all about it! How was the avy situation? HOw steep was it? Got any piccies to post?

Hakkoda rocks, but we definitely could do with some steeper terrain.

hem now

The powder at Hakkoda on Saturday was outstanding!!!! I agree that it could be steeper. The best part about Hakkoda is the bowl and forest under the gondola, rockin' fun and powder for all!! ;\)

Another fun place is Hachimantai Forest, I don't know how the powder is doing there, haven't been there the last 2 weeks, but my experience is that it's usually just as good as, if not better than, Hakkoda, yeee haaawww, the season continues!!! \:D

Hi Iggy - it was fun meeting you guys on saturday. I'm wondering how its gonna be this Saturday - no new snow between now and then so I don't know if we'll go yet. I'd like to get in one more good day of boarding but that might be asking for too much.

The top part of Hakkoda is plenty steep for me although when it flattens out I feel the burn in the thighs...I'd like to try the backside too but don't have the logistics for getting back to the car worked out. Plus - I havent' gone there yet so I suppose it could be a little dangerous.

You guys going this weekend Hem?

Hey Ray!! Yeah, Saturday was great! I'm just sorry we didn't run into you until our last run! I'm still a little embarrassed about the head-first into the tree well move- that's what happens when you get lazy at the end of the day!

Looks like it's supposed to snow mid-week. As long as the temp stays down we might have one more good go at it in Hakkoda-- the powder bowl is calling my name!! \:D

Hey Ray,

will head up Friday, maybe tomorrow if I can scam something, but the weekend is out - some buddies have free accom at Appi and I thought I`d check it out. I`d actually rather go up to Hakkoda, but am curious to see somewhere different.

Don`t worry about transport doing the backside - just hitchhike, it isn`t that difficult! The Japanese seem pretty happy to pick people up.

Cheers,

Hem now

Time for a little honesty - It wasnt exactly all time at Hakkoda on Sunday was it? The wind blown pow for the top 100m was pretty sketch and the rest was pretty shissetsu.

Back to the topic of the thread though the 4 days before that were much much better and there was plenty of pow then.

hi - The geto pows been a bit heavy lately - just as I'm learning all the spots to go in what weather conditions. junes? not sure where that is but I dont know the names of anywhere I go. There is some nise skiing to be done past both the far right and the far left of the field.

If you want to get into the backside of hakkoda, an easy way to do it is to go with guides from Sakayu Onsen (or some other places i dont know the name of) as their bus will pick you up and they know alot of good spots. the groups get pretty big in the weekend so weekdays are best - but as your a snowboarder and they go seperately to skiers the group size is not so important as there are far fewer snowboarders (seperate cos they use snowshoes while we traverse/walk in our skis) Its pretty cheap too.

hem now, knowing Appi I'm pretty sure it'll be icy and crowded (especially on the weekends), don't have high expectations!! If I were you I'd stay with your buddies at Appi and hit Hachimantai forest.

iggy, how far is Hachimantai forest from Appi?

Jared, nope Hakkoda wasn`t as good as the previous week, not by a long shot - but I`m still happy to say I skiied powder. Sure, you had to sniff it out (which wasn`t too hard), and yep, the bottom was goopy, but anything which faced northish was pretty fine. Wouldn`t call it sketchy!

Hopefully this snow we`re getting at the moment in Aomori will be a decent dump at Hakkoda - the longer we can stave off spring the better!

Cheers,

hem now

Hem now, it's probably about a 20-30 minute drive from Appi. I can give you specific directions if you plan on giving it a shot! The directions are easy from the toll road exit (hachimantai).