Frozen water toilet problem

Not feeling too well since yesterday and a bit of the runs, if you know what I mean. Toilet time this morning. Water supply non existant, iced up. Can't flush the toilet. It's not good!

sadface

Why do these things happen at the worst possible moments!

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Great idea, pouring down water into an iced up toilet. :confused:

If the inlet has iced up, there is a good chance the ubend or outlet has frozen too.

Well, it said "Water supply non existant, iced up.". The ubend does not hold that much water, maybe you can break it. Or try to flush with hot water first.

The main drain pipe is hollow and does not have water in it.

I presume that hopefully other water in the house still work.

In the very worst case, for those who don't know, snow melts into water when it gets over 0ºC.

And again a practical advise, if you need to chose the "outside option" for your urgent toilet demands and still want to melt snow later do not grab your snow from the same spot!

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
not too sure I would be keen to pour the kettle over the [ahem] used loo - the rising stench would be worse than closing the lid and waiting for the weather to warm up! lol

Coz I anticipated this potential problem I added a 'first'....

If the ubend is solid frozen that won't help much I guess.

In an old place I rented, our shampoo froze and I once cracked the shower head by turning on the shower when it was frozen. Had wet wellies freeze to genkan floor etc.

At a guess, an overnight power cut or simply a blown fuse could freeze up the water in a lot of houses round here. Lots of water pipes are protected by heating elements. Most toilets are too. "Kanreichi-shiyo". Our place is well insulated so I just bought ordinary toilets because they can be bought at heavier discounts.

Originally Posted By: Zaoman
Why do these things happen at the worst possible moments!

In order to make these here forums much more interesting, of course!

If the bucket trick didn't work, there are always "adult diapers"...

We have an electric heating system on the main pipe entering our house that we put on as soon as the first deep frost start happening in early Nov. Works a treat and doesn't use much electricity. You should look into getting something like this to avoid the problem in the furture.

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
If the bucket trick didn't work, there are always "adult diapers"...

And while on the slopes they would also add more safety padding to your snowboard gear - and as an extra plus you avoid time wasting loo times! And since you snowboarders sit next to your board in the snow anyway it they give an extra layer of warmth, plus the warm poo!

More cushioning + more time on the slopes + warm ass = win-win-win!