to all senior snowboarders skiers bros,,,,,

how do you guys handle ur fear when u r going like really fast?

cuz im having a bit of trouble here,, whenever i go fast, i got scared > lost my concentration > ....face plant..

thx in advance! cheers!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still fairly new myself, but from what I've learned so far is that you need to learn how to turn both ways first. once I got that down I started working on the speed.

I agree w/SKI though, icy conditions aren't fun. I slammed a few times in Korea pretty hard, lol. Guess I need to practice those turns more, haha!

Like the other´s said.

Controlled speed = no cause for fear.

So the problem is something specific.

What are you on? Ski or Snowboard?

If you are on a snowboard, there is a possibility that your snowboard is not stable. ie) too short, too narrow, too much side curve

On the technique side,

Can you flat run ? (without being on an edge?)

Can you stop from going fast?

No fear here at all! I love speed, fast skiing, fast driving, fast cycling, fast, fast, fast! LOL

Seriously though as your skiing improves you naturally become more confident, and natuarlly go faster without worrying.

As norcal said above, get your turning sorted first then speed wont be a problem. Going fast is easy, going fast under control is not!

Also the better you can turn the more fun skiing becomes and the less tired you become too.

I think B4t4x is a snowboarder. You don´t get face plants when you go fast and fall on skis (unless you are on 45 degrees slope).

What might be happening is that his tail swings out and the edge catches when he is going fast. This can happen when he is flat running (to go fast and get thru the flat section)

Your shoulder need to point to the direction where you are going. Parallel to the board. If not the tail slides out.

I had this problem because I came from skiing. With skiing, your body always faces the fall line.

Tell us what exactly is your fear. Is it because you fall when you go fast? You probably won´t be scared if you don´t fall right?

I get scared all the time. I think it's healthy especially as I get older and heal slower but then I like wearing pink as Black Mountain keeps reminding me. smile

Just remember the best snowboarder on the mountain is the one having the most fun.

Your elbow all good Pete?

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
I get scared all the time.

Just remember the best snowboarder on the mountain is the one having the most fun.

Amen

Wearing Pink ?

Ah huh ....

I used to Ski really fast and loved it.

Now I board and I just love cruising preferably in the Pow.

If you go fast and fall in Pow it doesn't hurt.

Lost my balls years ago.

Seemore

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Like the other´s said.
Controlled speed = no cause for fear.
So the problem is something specific.
What are you on? Ski or Snowboard?

If you are on a snowboard, there is a possibility that your snowboard is not stable. ie) too short, too narrow, too much side curve

On the technique side,
Can you flat run ? (without being on an edge?)
Can you stop from going fast?

now that make sense,,
oh i'm snowboarding,,,
flat run without being on edge,,hmm i can? but ive never done it when i think im going fast,,, i always use the edges,,
stop from going fast? u mean skid brake? yes i can,,,

Originally Posted By: Kraut_in_HongKong
Originally Posted By: RobBright
I enjoy going a controlled speed, either slow or fast. I think that's when I know it isn't a fear.

Too fast is when you don't have total control, and control comes with ability.

well i guess i just need to practice more rite?
Originally Posted By: seemore
I used to Ski really fast and loved it.

Now I board and I just love cruising preferably in the Pow.

If you go fast and fall in Pow it doesn't hurt.

Lost my balls years ago.

Seemore

You are doing very well then Seemore.
I don´t fall when skiing, but snowboarding ... :sigh:
I cartwheel a bit when I´m in Powder. Digging the nose after turns or just falling on simple straight runs. Any tips wink

B4t4x

Maybe you can try a longer freeriding board which doesn´t have too much sidecurve.

Go for ones that have Long side curve radius, 9m or so. You can see that the snowboard looks more straighter in shape.

Also a board that is pin shaped. Meaning that the tail is narrower than the tip. The tail edge doesn´t catch as easy on these.

These boards want to go straight. May feel difficult to turn at first. But man, it is stable.

My Missus went from 151 to 157 this season and now I have to do the catching up. Actually this was my board. She understands now how I was able to go fast. It´s just so stable on this board.

We are about 5´8 and 130lbs

my board is 157,,, i am 181 cm 75 kg,,

i dont know much bout board shape though,,,,

should i try bigger one?

Originally Posted By: Schneebored
Try closing your eyes. If you cant see it, it can't hurt you.

oh ive experienced it first hand, not exactly eyes closed more like foggy goggle + crazy snowy weather,,,,,it ended up with full body plant,,, veryshocked

My speed was definitely faster this year than last - I could keep up with the rest of the family biggrin But it took time. And I am certainly not breaking any speed records. Unlike Seemore I never lost my balls, I was born without them - literally and figuratively.

Technique, understanding technique and where you fit, what errors in form you have (and we all have them) and knowing your personal limitations (which change over time) will all help you find greater speed with lesser panic.

When I feel the panic I tend to slow down - it is natures way of telling me I am getting close to my limit.

Originally Posted By: B4t4x
my board is 157,,, i am 181 cm 75 kg,,
i dont know much bout board shape though,,,,
should i try bigger one?

I think you can go longer. 162, 163
I´m sure you wanna float on Pow.
If you are not riding switch or hitting things you might wanna try directional tapered (pin tail) boards.
Also these boards have a 1 degree edge bevel that is better on the mountain (ice and stuff) compared to freestyle boards 2~3 degrees which is buttery, catch-less on rails, etc.
I´m not a big pusher on new tech, but the feel thst you can get from boards make a BIG difference on you.
Your problem and joy is finding that stick you like, haha

What R U riding now?

I forgot to add.

Check your stance width, man!

I´d be scared if à had a narrow stance, and when my knees aren´t bend.

At your height, your stance should be at least 22 inches (measuring from the middle of your feet) I reckon it should be close to 24.

Bend your knees. This applies when you go longer in board length and going fast, steep, etc.

The wider stance width will also force you to bend your knees a little more.

Good luck thumbsup

This is my 2 cents as I am at Sydney airport getting ready to board my flight. When you get to a point where you need help getting more control under speed and you have ran out of ideas. The go for a private leson. They can help you progress to the next stage and you (I hope) get better control at speed...

Sounds like you crash because you loose your confidence rather than lack of ability. You need to find a nice safe place to practice getting used to going fast. Find a good sized hill with a long flat runout where you can just go straight(ish) and you dont have to worry about speed control because the long runout. Pick a suitable point and straight line it. Next time go a little higher etc..

It's called the highway effect and gets you used to going fast, then when you go back to normal speed you feel like you are going slow and that builds your confidence enough to go a little faster.

This is too fast for me.

Trying to keep up with TJ, Pete & Mate

First run down from Happo.

The quality isn't that good but hopefully you get the drift.

If this was a foot of powder I would be quite happy to nearly double the speed.

Seemore