Robert Bell, missing at Gala Yuzawa, 30 Jan 2011

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, cut him some slack: out on the slopes, Rob's just a snowboarder out to carve it up, like many of you. He got off course late in the day, but thankfully he stayed calm and survived a night on the mountain in minus 10 degrees. No special rescue favours were offered or expected.

As for me, I'm extremely grateful to have my brother alive and well. Thankyou all for your support and for any efforts you made on my behalf to help find him. Happy skiing/boarding, and please take care in the snow.

Michael.

Originally Posted By: Michael Bell
Hey, cut him some slack: out on the slopes, Rob's just a snowboarder out to carve it up, like many of you. He got off course late in the day, but thankfully he stayed calm and survived a night on the mountain in minus 10 degrees. No special rescue favours were offered or expected.

Michael.

It wasn't meant in any offence or in bad taste. A genuine question as costs vary from prefecture to prefecture.

Honestly just intrigued and apologies for the offence.

Maybe lets chill out. We are all stoked he is safe and as you can see we were very worried about his well being - of course now some humour will happen, banks are easy targets.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Seeing as he was found out of bounds, I wonder how much the rescue bill cost?

He will be charged a fee for being withdrawn from the snow cave he put himself in, even though its his own life smile

Awesome news!! Very pleased it's a positive outcome.

When reading the article that schneebored posted i thought it was going to say:

Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Ltd.’s top Japan executive was found alive and conscious after spending the night in AN EMERGENCY TELEPHONE BOX in Niigata prefecture, northwest of Tokyo, a police official said.

It would be good to hear the whole story. Mistakes are made everyday and you learn from them. Sometimes you need someone to bail you out. Still it is good to hear what mistakes may have been made to educate people. I for one thought this story was going to end with very bad news.

Initially my $ was a on J-babe and a lodge with an onsen but then Im single and he isn't so my heart started to sink.

STOKED how it all turned out. GREAT lesson for me as I often ride alone. So yes please, when he feels up to it a summary of what happened and what actions he took would be great.

• 1 month later...

I met this guy last year and got the story through some friends. Despite being a very experienced snowboarder he made a couple of mistakes and these are lessons for all of us. He dropped of the groomed run in the wrong place and didn’t traverse back at the right spot. The mistake was compounded by thinking he could continue down and loop back to the run. Sounds like it started as a fun steep deep powder run.....a real lesson for all us powder hounds.

Thankfully as well as the mistakes it sounds like he made some good decisions as well. First he didn’t panic, he built a good snow cave early, well before it became dark just in case. He was dressed well and he took a lot of time to weigh up the options such as going down the valley further (which proved to be too dangerous) and trying to climb up that evening. He even timed what distance he could make in 30min to estimate how far he could go. In the end he bunkered down for the night because of poor visibility and continuing snow fall. God knows what went through his mind overnight and how stressed his friends and family must have been. Apparently on the morning with clearer weather and more time he climbed out using a crawling motion packing down the snow with his hands and slowly zig zaging up. Bet he wished he had packed some snow shoes. It took him half a day to get up and he was about 20m from the groomed run that takes you back to the station when he heard the ski patrol looking for him.

Some simple safety tips for all of us even when at a small local resort which we generally think of as low risk: Pack a safety whistle (these are really loud), some food (power bar) and a space blanket – put them in your pockets and forget about them. Also check your phone is charged and with you. If you must snowboard on your own then make a time to ring home just like you would make a meeting point with friends. For treks further off piste then don’t go alone, take a pack with more gear including beacons, shovel, snow shoes etc. If new to an area get a guide, they are worth it. Oh and remember in Japan they give you the rescue bill and I imagine it was very large one.

Finally hats off to those that looked for him and everyone on this site for trying to help.

Wow made all those initial mistakes at Happo a couple weeks ago without any of the suggested precautions. At one stage fell through the snow well past my waist and started to get very concerned - luckily I got out within an hour. Thanks for posting.

Another reminder that I must stop looking at new boards and bindings and other stuff that I don't really need and get myself properly kitted out with some essential safety/survival gear!!

Originally Posted By: Mick Rich
Another reminder that I must stop looking at new boards and bindings and other stuff that I don't really need and get myself properly kitted out with some essential safety/survival gear!!

Having the gear is one thing knowing how to use it is another. Take an avy course as well