Hi There

I am having trouble finding much information on places in Hakuba and Shiga Kogen where I will be able to either get my board waxed and tuned, or a publicly available tuning workshop where I can do it myself, my accomodation in both places does not offer such a room. (Something to look for next time)

I hope someone can give me some tips on where to go.

Cheers

Tom

So many places where are you staying? Wadano, Happo, Ecoland or goryu?

Goryu has 500 miles in Escal plaza.

Central snow sports is at the base of the happo gondola.

Loco and Yamatoya sports are near the train station.

Wadano has another 500 miles at the mominoki information center.

Ecoland has board shop 902 or spicy rentals.

Also in Happo there is the new Head shop across from the

Mexican restaurant just down from the Happo gondola.

The boarding co near the train station.

Originally Posted By: seemore
Hi Tom

Alot of people use spray on or roll on wax over there which you can buy from the ski shops.

Seemore

I would say that people use that as a last minute add on.....not really the main wax job for the board

So TB you think that I should use something else other than "Mr Sheen".

Hot Waxing is overated what is the point of putting on wax then taking it off again unless you have holes to fill?

Seemore

yeah. You definitely notice the difference when you have a newly waxed board. At the end of last season I went to a place in Gunma and my board hadn't been waxed since the start of the season, my speed suffered and as a result I was barely making the end of the kicker!! lol

I´ll answer that for you seemore.

I think it is to lift out the muck that clogs the pores by putting warm base wax (therefore the use of iron)

But you are right. If you have cleaned off the old wax there is nothing wrong about putting something other than base wax.

There´s an organic way to lift them off other than solvents.

Can use vinegar, detergent mix. But the base has to be warm to do that. If you can keep the iron temp low, or do it over Al foil, it weill not damage the base material.

It´s just that the mass of iron/wax retains the heat long enough to lift the muck off imo.

There´s organic non Fl ski/board wax too.

Anyone tried that yet?.

I also use Zardoz Not-Wax. Its liquid Teflon and makes you fly like a bat outta hell.....only thing is it doesn't really last that long. I use it as a rub on treatment on the day. Rub it on before I start and then again before I start after lunch. I also rub a little on the top deck of my board's nose to stop snow accumulating there when the snow is deep

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I also rub a little on the top deck of my board's nose to stop snow accumulating there when the snow is deep

The trick to not have loads of snow build up on your board is going faster! Tubby Beavers should be able to get loads of momentum coming down the hill!!

lol

Not wrong there BM.

Teflon is mmmm.... I´d avoid that shit.

I think the ways go is non toxic wax. Think ground water contamination

Anyone tried

Purl

Green

Magic Portion

etc .

I haven't tried any of the waxes you mentioned Jynxx but I probably should... I'm not even sure if I've even ever seen them on sale around here. I usually go for the super toxic fluorocarbon or graphite wax. Graphite wax is a bit of a pain though as I use the crayon method to wax my board. I try to match the wax to the snow conditions I imagine... I also wax my board about every 3-4 times out on the hill (depending on the time of year). Towards the end of this season I'm going to try out a fluorographite polymer wax. It's expensive~ish but I'd like to see the difference it makes on older snow!

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
lol
Not wrong there BM.

Teflon is mmmm.... I´d avoid that shit.
I think the ways go is non toxic wax. Think ground water contamination

Anyone tried
Purl
Green
Magic Portion
etc .

Could care less......I just want the frictionlessness of Teflon....oh yeah!! smile
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I also rub a little on the top deck of my board's nose to stop snow accumulating there when the snow is deep

The trick to not have loads of snow build up on your board is going faster! Tubby Beavers should be able to get loads of momentum coming down the hill!!

perhaps, but snow still sticks to the nose of the board....unless I use some Teflon action.....just don't drink the water! biggrin

There a few good tune up stores in Hakuba though they are expensive and sometimes take 48 hours or more!! Not good for international tourists but good for the weekend warriors up from the cities.

I have not used the Head store that Panhead mentioned though I did hear good things about it as well.

I wax skis twice a week with my kids. Usually Monday and Friday.

Wax is too expensive!