• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for a walk out to the cheese factory today but did not get there. It was too far. On the way I had some good views of the resorts so I took some photos.

kokodoko_23.jpg

Here is Furano Zone.

kokodoko_24.jpg

And this is the Kitanomine Zone.

We have not had any snow for about 3 or 4 days now and it was supposed to be a bit hard up there today. More snow is needed.

Nice photos Kokodoko! The conditions were actually good today, well at least this morning when I went up. The groomed runs were firm but not at all icy & despite the lack of fresh snow, there's still some lovely soft pow about if you know where to look wink

We'll have to hook up one morning Kokodoko! How long you in town for?

A word of warning to those in Furano or on their way here - ski patrol were out in force today! I had my first run-in of the season with a particularly aggressive guy I had the misfortune to meet on the way into a tree run. When he threatened to take my season pass, international relations became somewhat strained! I was let off with a "next time" warning but not before he'd taken a note of my name. I than ran into a couple who'd had a similar experience with another guy, who said he'd already taken the passes of a group of 7 or 8 skiers who'd hiked a ridge to access an out-of-bounds face. Back at the gondola I then heard of yet another couple that had been warned off this morning. So I guess the message is be extra vigilant when you duck those ropes! wink

Originally Posted By: Mick Rich

A word of warning to those in Furano or on their way here - ski patrol were out in force today! I had my first run-in of the season with a particularly aggressive guy I had the misfortune to meet on the way into a tree run. When he threatened to take my season pass, international relations became somewhat strained! I was let off with a "next time" warning but not before he'd taken a note of my name. I than ran into a couple who'd had a similar experience with another guy, who said he'd already taken the passes of a group of 7 or 8 skiers who'd hiked a ridge to access an out-of-bounds face. Back at the gondola I then heard of yet another couple that had been warned off this morning. So I guess the message is be extra vigilant when you duck those ropes! wink

I first went there in 2005 and that was the experience I got, ski patrol nazis everywhere, I vowed never to come back!
Last year I got persuaded by a mate who had done two seasons there to return and had a blast, never had a problem.
I'm sorry to hear they are back hassling people again and Furano is off the list again unfortunately!
Originally Posted By: Mick Rich

until the end of march. It would be good for someone to show me around a bit. I still haven't sussed it all out.

I saw a couple of dudes skiing under the double chair about 3 days ago right under everyone's noses. They did it about 3 times and ducked the ropes where everyone could see them. Something like that may have put the patrols noses out of joint, maybe.

The patrol have been pretty invisible the last couple of weeks before that, though.

its pretty easy to see why though. On the second bluebird day of no powder at niseko last week the queues going out the gates were starting to get silly smile Ah well, looking forward to some snow though. I must i must increase my bust (and also hit kamui on a nice messy day).

Originally Posted By: Hokkaidough
I think in general the patrol has calmed down though since a number of years ago when it was notorious.

Yeah I heard that. I got shouted at a couple of times last season but today was the nearest I've come to losing my pass! Let's hope they were just having a clampdown day or perhaps they've got less to do in the absence of fresh snow wink

Kokodoko, I'll look out for you on the slopes - what colours are you wearing?

Probably my Ski Patrol "friend" from yesterday who will then take my pass for causing a disturbance lol

By the way, a terrain park is being built on the Kitanomine side! I saw a box, a couple of a rails and a tabletop this morning but it's not finished/open yet - maybe this weekend biggrin

PS I'll look out for you Kokodoko wave

had my first little play on it today. Was kinda nice... cant really make much of a judgement though since its an ice rink out there. Its definitely got some nice looking terrain as far as the groomers go, but its not the kind of place that you can dip into the trees. Way too little snow for the shrubs so its pretty messy in there. Lots of little booby traps as well by the looks of it. Spent the day just nipping in and out of the ropes just to get a bit of a feel of it on the kitanomine (is that it?) side. Saw a half decent line under the link lift, but aside from the hut i cant see where you can drop into it without a bit of a shank up hill. Aside looking across at that face next to the "premium zone" im not really sure where the fun lines are?

Looks liek a lot of places to get stuck in truth, and definitely looks like some possible creeks if you drop too far down some of the gullies.

Good fun to just bomb it though. Switched from the airobic to the quiver killer in the afternoon and just charged. Pretty ideal deck for the conditions out there in truth smile As i say, hard to judge it based on one day, predominantly one side of the mountain, and poor conditions, but i reckon i made the right choice going to niseko in truth. Its fun, but it seems like once the tracks go, it gets a little boring... trees are a bit too messy, the semi untracked powder is now mad crusty (unless you duck a few ropes), and if you hit the groomers the runs last less time than it takes to get the gondola back up... all in all, lucky theres another side. I reckon tomorrow ill have to spend my day over there smile