Visiting Hakuba in a week - best resort for noobs

Hey folks

My girl and I are heading to the Hotel Phoenix Wing on the 25th of Jan, for four days of boarding and skiing. We're both relativel noobs - I'm ok on blue runs, while she prefers greens.

What's the best resort for us, taking into account our experience level and hotel location? I've heard Hakuba 47 is pretty popular?

Cheers!

You are very close to Goryu and Iimori which are linked. I am sure you will be very happy there to start your holiday and you can venture further up the mountain once you have built your confidence. Its a good idea to get some lessons also. Great new outdoor onsen at Phoenix Wing too which you can book with your GF

Hey folks

Goryu and Iimori it is then - thank you very much for your advice! I can't believe how much snow is there - my past boarding experiences have been to Queenstown in NZ, and it just doesn't come close. Hopefully it'll stick around long enough for our arrival!

It was off the hook - plenty left for you, and more set to fall by the looks.

We struggled to get to Nagano in time for our Shink to Tokyo this morning - it was SO snowy on the roads all the way to Nagano!

Incredible!

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
By the week they just had the answer is yes smile

You would be correct Pete.
Papa brought the Pow Stick and nothing else in a leap of faith and Hakuba (and now Niseko) have truly delivered. It has been amazing!

Yes Pie Eater it is school holidays (coz it is summer in Aus right now ya know! LOL). The boys finished school on about the 2nd of December and go back on Monday 31st of January. We will be home for about 3 days before school starts again.

As for #2, he will be home in the first week of March, but what he will do after that is a bit up in the air....

Thanks again for all your advice peeps - we fly out in a day, and I've got a severe case of the pre-journey jitters. I've just triple checked all my gear, and have been daydreaming about getting it out in some real snow for the first time.

Btw, my missus and I check in to the Phoenix Wing on the 25th Jan - I'm the short dude in all black trying to snowboard, she's the short chick in all pink trying to ski!

Its supposed to snow at the weekend and if we get a lot, the bottom part of Tsugaike will be hard work on a snowboard. Its too flat. It can be hard to carry enough speed to go straight, let alone turn.

I would also say avoid the forest runs at all the resorts (too flat = high chance of catching an edge, hard to get going again if you do).

Almost all of the gondolas can be ridden downwards as well, so you can ride runs like Panorama at Happo, the top runs at Iwatake, the top run at Goryu without having to worry about getting back down anything difficult. The higher runs have better snow and much better scenery. Often fewer people too.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Its supposed to snow at the weekend and if we get a lot, the bottom part of Tsugaike will be hard work on a snowboard. Its too flat.

On skis as well!
Actually I'm not keen on Tsugaike - much prefer Happo / 47 / Goryu.

You fly from Manchester to Helsinki, Helsinki- Toyko

I wish I could fly from Glasgow to Helsinki but no such luck. There is an Edinburgh Helsinki. but it is not with Finair ( I can,t remember the name of the airline at the moment] and I only found it after I booked my BA flight.Sods law