I just read the article in Japanese and it's not entirely clear what happened. It talks about a 'roller for flattening the snow', but I have my doubts that the person who wrote it has seen a groomer...

grungy, they already have, read the report.

given fairly moderate skills of many snowboarders, it is not difficult to imagine a novice boarder going too fast on fairly smooth, packed snow and sliding out of control into the path of the roller.

It seems to be just one of those sad, unfortunate accidents. Although I am intriged as to why it was tragic that her snowboard wasn't even scratched....would it have been less tragic if it had been broken in two?

There was no panic in that artical hey, there was no it was out of control or anything! its strange im left with the slight impression it might have been a suicide mission? because there was no reason for it its is very odd..?? and all the resort said was it wasnt going to happen again and that they were deeply sorry no minute of silence or anything being done in respect of the girl?

i didnt mean to offend anyone by saying that but thats what the impression i got?

It sounds a little like regardless of the existence of a "safe zone" or not, that this might have happened.

As has been said, how can you miss seeing a groomer? Though that bring to mind the question, what was the groomer doing out so late anyway? It is rare for groomers to be working during the times that lifts are open in AU.

According to my Japanese mate, it happened in the board park. The groomer was working on the landing area but failed to block off the kicker. Must`ve been a pretty damn big kicker for the victim not to see that grooming truck! \:\(

Yeah, some university student while on his gasshuku(school club camp)trip fell to his death from the lift at Togakushi a few weeks ago. Apparently he had been drinking heavily the night before and dozed off while riding the lift. Sad indeed. \:\(

yeah too many - so far I've heard about the

Tokagushi chair fall

Zao machine death

Hakuba big kicker death

Jeff Anderson

Craig Kelly and the people he was guiding in Revelstoke

Another crew killed in Revelstoke a week after Kelly and crew

I feel kinda morbid listing them all here, but I think it is important to remember. Interesting thing is I am fairly sure they were all snowboarders, no skiers. . .

Most of Craig Kelly's party were on skis. He was on a split board. According to their website, that company (Selkirk Mountain Experience IIRC) doesn't allow boarders to ascend by snowshoes on their tours.

The second Glacier Park party were on a character-building mountain skills expedition with their school. I believe they were on touring skis.

A French pro boarder died around the same time as Craig Kelly from avalanche-induced injuries near Jackson Hole.

Here in Japan, to add to the list \:\(

Skier in Kamikochi region - backcountry avalanche

Two boarders at Shirao - offpiste avalanche

Skier at Hakuba Cortina - collision with tree

Boarder at Charmant Hiuchi - broken neck on natural quarter pipe

Skier at ? - collision with tree after veering off a slalom pole course

Young girl skier at ? - collision with course rope

Boarder at Nozawa - drowned in deep snow