Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
without sounding too callous to you animal lovers out there, but screw the damn horses!! The people are safe and thats the most important thing, while horses may be their livlihood and they may suffer lean times because of it, who cares, they are still alive.

Completely agree, family or your pets/livelihood? Family wins every day.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete

Toowoomba!

Toowoomba is 700 metres above sea level. It is a mountain top that is what was so devastating about this. These people had NO WARNING at all.

So many more sad stories coming out. One father managed to get his 5 year old in a tree and told him to hang on before the father was swept to another tree. He kept talking to his son telling him to hang on hang on. He prayed that it would get dark before the water level dropped so the little boy would see his dead mother and brother who were trapped in the car. The night before the mother was involved in a rescue of a woman who drove into a flooded road.
Originally Posted By: thursday
this after a draught I think.

You mean "drought"
you are going cold turkey lol

I used to drive past Wivenhoe dam QLD built in response after the 74 Bridbane flood , which is a huge catchment that holds the amount of x2 Sydney habour water. A few years ago it was like 20% full. Now it´s beyond capacity and letting it out.
Seeing vids of how much water the dam is releasing is unbelievable.
They must be glad they built that.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Originally Posted By: thursday
this after a draught I think.

You mean "drought"
you are going cold turkey lol

I used to drive past Wivenhoe dam QLD built in response after the 74 Bridbane flood , which is a huge catchment that holds the amount of x2 Sydney habour water. A few years ago it was like 20% full. Now it´s beyond capacity and letting it out.
Seeing vids of how much water the dam is releasing is unbelievable.
They must be glad they built that.

I heard that it was at 187-185%. Imagine if it wasn't there.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
It's always good to see people coming together when things like this happen.

When we had our earthquake I was moved at how much the community got together.

Yep, it brings out the best in human nature.

After the 2004 boxing day tsunami, the fund raising concerts and such in Oz were inspiring.

Its probably tougher now as people are getting to assess the damage and are going home to see their houses and livelihoods all gone. There is a LOT of Australia directly impacted including a lot of communities in central and western Victoria that do not get a mention on much of the media. Have mates involved in the clean ups and whilst they talk of the positiveness of the volunteers etc they say its hard not to cry when they help those that have lost so much.