• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´ve been away from Oz, but anything about water catches my attention.

I had lived a lifestyle that relies on rainwater. I miss drinking that now, but I side track again. Anyways, It´s either too little or too much there. As I used to go into Lismore NSW, you see a sign post of how high the past floods have been and I always wondered about when the next big "one in a hundred years" would come.

Now seeing Toowoomba like that is mind boggling. I skydived a bit at Toogoolawah so I know the area from the sky. Know people living around that area, too.

Australia is an amazing place to live but it also make you feel so insignificant...

Of all the natural forces out there water is quite often the most underestimated. It can really do some damage as we are reminded of in dire times like this one. It's awesome to see acts of courage and bravery displayed in times of turmoil and I hope everyone on here's loved ones and family are safe.

Just to put some reality in for people who think this is NOTHING!!!

My friends lost their 4 year old son from the grips of a rescuer and now a lose of life he is just a statistic to everyone but tragically missed by everyone.

My friends 20 year old niece is missing along with 10 of her horses.

Reported in the newspaper when the inland tsunami hit Toowoomba (which is 700 metres above sea level) a family was trapped on top of a car, when the rescuers arrived the oldest boy said please take my younger brother first. Rescuers did when they went to return the car was swept away killing the mother and her 14 year old son.

Go to ninemsm or youtube and have a look at the devastation and read some of the stories and then make your opinion.

GN I am so disappointed by your callious comment. Please remember that this is very close to home for some of us and any loss of life is tragic.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: TropicalPow
Go Native,

As a long time reader of this forum I have enjoyed your entertaining thoughts and reports, and since I will be in Niseko in less than a week thought it would be nice to put a name to a few of the faces at the get together art wild bills I think it is?
I see that you were probably trying to be funny but I would have thought when you understood the gravity of the situation and the number of dead and missing , I thought you may express your regrets and back peddle a little. But no, a smart arse comment again.
I am presuming if someone had made light of the recent avalanche deaths, you would have jumped on them, I do not see the difference here.
I was hoping to have a beer and maybe a few turns with you but god , you make it hard to like you.

Sorry but I'm not going to act as though I'm all cut up about what's happening in Qld when in reality it doesn't really affect me in anyway whatsoever. Just like you probably barely batted an eyelid when a couple of thousand died and millions were displaced from floods in Pakistan last year. Did you know there's also been recent flooding in the Philippines which has displaced around 800,000 people and caused dozens of deaths? Just as I doubt you'll lose any sleep over the situation in the Philippines I aint losing any over the situation in Qld. Maybe because it's white people I should care more? wink

One thing to be callous, plenty are , I am mostly. But callous disregard for how others might feel... You don't have to pretend you care, but not caring that others do?
Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
Just to put some reality in for people who think this is NOTHING!!!

My friends lost their 4 year old son from the grips of a rescuer and now a lose of life he is just a statistic to everyone but tragically missed by everyone.

That's heartbreaking SH.

A some good news in all this bad news my friends niece and family have all been found safe. All 10 horses tragically perished.

Just went to the supermarket to pick up some items for dinner NOTHING!!!!! Shelves are empty NO BREAD - NO MILK - NO Fresh Produce. It was a little scary. Was also told that 2 McDonald stores will close their doors tomorrow as they have run out of food and can't get any delivered as the bigger stores are being looked after first.

If roads aren't opened tomorrow our 2 local petrol stations will also run out of fuel.

without sounding too callous to you animal lovers out there, but screw the damn horses!! The people are safe and thats the most important thing, while horses may be their livlihood and they may suffer lean times because of it, who cares, they are still alive.

You haven´t bonded with horses TB.

If the animal is special to me, it means more than some bloke to me.

To be honest, If I were to be stranded on an island, I´d rather be with my animal friend than a human being.

It breaks my heart to hear someone losing their loved ones (even if I don´t know them). But if it were some lone guy (like myself in the past) frankly it doesn´t affect me that much.

I bond with em after eating raw slivers of them at an izakaya yummy

but in all seriousness, you're not gonna tell me that if you could only save either a guy or a horse, you'd save the horse??!!

Depends. This is all hypothetical, ok?

I just have to follow my instinct.

In all seriousness, it is difficult for me to treat animals as a lower being because they are animals when I can communicate with them telepathically.

Call it anthropomorphic, I don´t care. When one is in that state, it is easy to understand how ideas like re-incarnation can come about,too and I´m not into beliefs.

My horse could have saved me in the past. Then I save my horse, no question about it.

My horse could be the key for my own survival.

If I save this guy, I may become responsible. Maybe it was his time and place to die.

If it was a child, different story. I know there is some genetic programming in me that is about continuation of the species. OR I´m just a dog. Don´t matter who´s kid it is, if there is a kid around me, the kid is in my awareness and I´m watching over.

Insurance people in for a busy time

"Australia's insurance industry is gearing up for one of the largest series of claims in its history after devastating floods swept through the state of Queensland.

As thousands return to their damaged homes and businesses to survey the havoc caused by mud and flood waters, insurance assessors are being mobilised from across the country.

"We're thinking it's going to be up there with one of the biggest events we've had," said Paul Giles, of the Insurance Council of Australia."