I was doing laps today through Strawberry fields at Hanazono , I traversed right along the ridge to my usual stomping ground and came across a group of guys right at the entrance to a lush field of untracked pow when on yells at me "stop, stop you have to go back we are filming a movie here", I tell him that this is everyones snow but they wouldn't let up, they actually wanted me to double back on my own track because "we are saving this powder for the movie!"

I was a little peeved and but dropped in and hooked skiers left and left them to themselves. What do you think? Within the resort is fair game in my mind, we are all riding on the same ticket or do you reckon once you pull a camera out you can claim an area to yourself????

If that's the case I am going out to get one now!

If they want isolation for a movie shoot there's no shortage of such locations in the region. If they are within the resort boundary and have not organised something with the resort then they of course can ask but have no right to expect people not to ski wherever they want.

In the resort? And the haven't "booked it"? Then screw them, you have paid the same as they have to be on that slope, let them deal with the consequences.

p.s. was it Mitchpee who yelled at you? wink

Originally Posted By: RobBright
In the resort? And the haven't "booked it"? Then screw them, you have paid the same as they have to be on that slope, let them deal with the consequences.

p.s. was it Mitchpee who yelled at you? wink

Hahaha that would make sense. If anyone told me that I would just drop in anyway, don't fall though then you look like an idiot haha. Lots of times people have been waiting to hit something and I have been known to go ahead on my own terms, usually they don't argue if you do a big backie or something.

I went for a surf the other day. It was really nice. About 4-6 foot. Sunny. Offshore. Only problem was the 6 other guys on the peak. I paddled out and asked, really politely mind you, if they could please go in because I hadn't had a good, uncrowded session for so long. Can you believe they ignored me and dropped in on me the whole session? Selfish bastards!

HAHA yes agree with all of the above I would have shredded that up without hesitation, very inelegantly at that. Who TF do think they are with a camera, like they have paid more for a lift ticket than you.

At least a dozen times I have cruised past people with a camera (probably all private mind, never been ASKED to stop) setting something up BUT I have stood on top of fresh tracks picking a line and plenty just drop right in, including getting roosted for my trouble.

I just shake my fist and scream "OI, THAT'S MY LINE" mumble some other sh1t about how stupid I was and get on with it smile

EDIT: Wish I could do a backie that would be the icing on the cake smile

If its hard work to get there and they've put in a bootpack etc. that you've then used to reach the line, its different.

But some little traverse into a well-known spot inbounds being filmed just for someone's blog, ffs.

Blog? ... I might actually go OK that's fine. But for a commercial venture, HMMM... commercial dudes ski and board for work AND FINANCIAL reward, I get to do it a limited amount for hard earned coin - who deserves it more? wink

I'd respect their request if they were polite.

I'd hang out and watch the pros in action. Not every day you see a movie segment being filmed. Maybe even take a few pics if they were cool with that. More than enough pow to go round.

Then when they were done I'd drop in and try to outdo the pros wink

Hmmmm....tough call. Especially since they aren't Japanese and no resort staff present. As a former pro videographer I'd also be basing my evaluation on the gear they are using. UNLESS I see a big ass Vinten tripod and studio quality camera(s) ......

........I laugh and ski.

Just ask to see their filming permit next time. As far as I am aware, no ski resort would let a professional film crew film within their lease without payment. If they were amateurs then like everyone else here has pointed out, they have no more claim to the stash than you.

"Excuse me Sir, but can I see your permit please?"

wink

Sounds like they were being arseholes. Lots of them about.

Pulling a camera does not give someone the right to tell you what to do. It does mean you should perform to your best abilities though. wink

I doubt they would really be able to keep that patch to themselves anyway....it is Strawberry Fields after all!

I reckon shortly after I came through a hooting and hollering pack of pow pigs would have ended the shoot quick smart.

Idiots thinking they can film in Strawberries and have it all to themselves.