It was a doozy! Officially 50.4cm of snow over 30 hours in Misawa. This is a city on the Pacific Ocean. The mountains got hammered. The Expressway was closed, trains were shut down, the base here was closed.....rots of snow. My house is in a wind tunnel and I had 3 meter drifts in my yard. Wind gusted to over 70 kmh. It took a monumental effort just to keep my driveway clear so I could get out of it. A lot of the roads where I live are now one lane because of the snow. I took a trip on a train to Aomori yesterday and they didn't nearly get hit as hard - maybe only 30 or 40 centimeter in the city. Oh yeah, and 40 to 50 foot waves today. The road at my local break went bye bye again. They JUST fixed from the last Typhoon too.

Well, it's 11:50PM here, temp of about -8c - looks like winter finally hit. Is it always like this here? Same thing happened last year. Looks like I'll be able to get some spring skiing in after my surgery here soon.

Epic at mine too. I dont know when it started as I wasnt here but there was thigh deep up to my front door at 4am and then waist deep when I left this morning. It took me a damn hour at lunch to dig out the meagre bit my lazy ass can be bothered to do.

And its still snowing! Get yourself to the mountains folks

40-50ft would make it as big as Jaws, mavs or fluffys!

like I said, let me know where this is and I will bring R.C.J. and the rest of the tow boys up there..

Or maybe Ray you could tow me in to a few of those bombs!

No lie - 40 to 50 foot. There were 3 of us at the beach and we all saw it. Those size waves were breaking over a mile out though. I've got vid cam footage of the last 3 days to confirm it. Today was in the 20 to 30 foot range on the outside. The inside bars can only handle 10 to 15 but the outer bars in deeper water can hold these bigger waves. Unfortunately, the NW winds made it a total mess so I doubt they were safely surfable. I'd give complete props to anyone who would tow in to that. Is Laird available??

No snow in the last two days, but it's been cold. I'm taking my friends from Oregon to Towadako tomorrow for grins. Hopefully a dawn patrol session early though - if the swell drops.

Hope everyone can get up to enjoy the late winter present!

Indo - are you mates with RCJ?

by the way, a dude I used to surf with was one of the guys that started surfing fluffys before it hit the press. He was the guy that wrote the article for ASL mag.

PLUCKSTER!

Can you get some stills or something off the video?

I am not saying that you are pulling our chain but if there are surfable waves that size here i want to see em!

just to confirm ( due to the various methods ) the "feet" you are talking about, are they real feet as in surfboard feet?

I usually go by 6ft being double overhead.

I'm gonna guess he was talking about the face but thats still a pretty big wave. I might go take a look see after work but they're probably small by now.

I would gladly tow anyone into a wave - one of my skis is a 3 seater with a race bred engine but any towing I do will have to wait until July at least cause of my pending neck surgery. Location would be a factor too cause I aint launching the ski off a beach with 40 foot waves so there would have to be a port nearby.

Ray for the tow-ins, I'm up for that.

db, you wouldn't be talking about one Mr. A Campbell would you. He's a crazy bastard!

By the way, I don't think even Fluffy's gets swells that size, and I should know cause I've treked down there a few times to have a look during some of the big swells. 40-50 surfing feet! I only know of a few places in the world that get that size swell. Who's got Ross and Tony Ray's phone number then?

Plucky, you have to get some stills of that footage on here, love to see it! :p

Dims - yep, Andy Campbell is the man I was talking about. This is all years ago though. I was never great mates or anything, but I certainly knew him and surfed with him here and there. He was an exceptional surfer all those years ago (kicked by but 40 times over). I hear these days that he is insane. There were a lot of guys in Hobart that where very good, but had too much ego and have never really followed through like campbell has (at least this is what I hear from the Hobart grape vine).

I haven't uploaded any of the footage to the puter yet, but will do here soon. I'm showing my friends from the states around northern Japan and haven't had much time but to have a fun time with them. I filmed my buddy surfing 8-14 foot surf at Misawa Port today. The 14 foot was a rogue set that came through and wiped the lineup out. It was mostly in the 8 to 10 range though.

Oh, Indo - I'm using face values, not Hawaiian scale. That would be insane at that height! Another thing I have to explain - these waves were breaking over a 1.5 km out. If you had a boat or Ray, then have fun! I'm hoping the swell drops even further tomorrow so I can go out. With a fractured shoulder, duck diving and paddling is a huge chore. May be worth it tomorrow though.

Ray, check Locals or the port or even Momoishi. Look on the horizon where the ferries go by. In front of that there are some deep sandbars. The swell catches on those and creates some huge waves when the storms are right. This wont show much now, but you can see how the swell is slowly diminshing - http://www.navo.navy.mil/cgi-bin/graphic.pl/metoc/86/21/0-0-1/5

I'll report back and hopefully have some stills up in the next week. Ray - sounds like we should both be healthy for hurricane season \:\)