• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
The oysters in Bang Bang

I reckon Bang Bang is the most overrated restaurant in Niseko. Been once, never again. The Hongkonese do seem to love it though. Don't understand why...

The oysters at Ezo Seafoods are so much better!

I liked the soup curry at Ren (in the Hilton at the bottom of Niseko Village). There is a decent yakiniku place a short walk from the Annupuri base, I think it's called Mokumokutei.

If you get any time in Sapporo, check out the Sapporo Beer Garden for Ghengis Khan (grilled lamb) or the Kirin Beer Garden for snow crab, shabu-shabu style.

Bang Bang didn't do it for me either.

Crab Ramen at Hanazono - I actually preferred the pork ramen, but crab is the specialty.

Beef Burgers at The Brick - watch the stairs - our little guy fell from top to bottom smashing his face. (not real Japanese style, but works a treat when you are hankering for a red meat fix to repair all those muscle fibres!)

Teriyaki Chicken set at A Bu Cha - my kids favorite.

Had a great broccoli soup at Ace Hut.

The beef cheeks at The Barn are pretty damn good. Wild Bills has a brand new menu this season and the venison looks real nice.

And if you really want to splurge Kamimura is a great night out. The wife is taking me there for my 40th.

Also don't forget about Kutchan. If you want to get away a bit from foreign filled restaurants in Hirafu catch the night go bus down to Kutchan for a big range of great restaurants and you'll get to hang out with the locals. Experience a bit of real Japan! wink

The guys who ran Big Cliff in Hirafu have a restaurant down in Kutchan now called Enya. I can definitely recommend it.

In Kutchan, be sure to visit Cafe Kaku and ask for his mother's cheesecake - it's to die for! He's a Yank, but don't hold that against him,!

"This is the kind of place with such a laid back vibe you’ll feel like staying for half the day. Shukin opened Café Kaku seven years ago and he’s still serving some of the best coffee in all of Japan. The wholemeal pizzas and foccacias are a specialty and there is an excellent selection of cakes and smoothies."

And ... the Genghis Khan at the King Bell (at Hirafu) was a favourite lunch 06 and 07 when we were there. I do so hope they have not ditched it.

we have eaten at so many places since we have been here and have not been disappointed once, we went to Kutchan and had Ramen from the place just as you come into town, then had sushi from teh sushi train place, both totally amazing and then had wagya beef at the place just up the road a bit, where you cook it all your self a really cool experience, sorry i dont know the names but if you get off the night bus just as you come in to Kutchan you can find them easy as. And tonight we went to mina mina, in Hirafu, was SOOOOO good smile

So many good foods to eat everywhere, need more boarding to work it off.

Oh also yes Niseko pizza is amazing been twice smile

Niseko Pizza! lol #3 son entered the Pizza Eating comp they hold there once a week TWICE ... the first time he ALMOST knocked out the reigning champ - so they gave him his money back. Kids enjoy the pizza, but ya can get pizza anywhere.

We ate at a little Okonomiyaki restaurant in Kutchan once - I will definitely be going back there - LOVED IT!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
The oysters in Bang Bang

I reckon Bang Bang is the most overrated restaurant in Niseko. Been once, never again. The Hongkonese do seem to love it though. Don't understand why...

'cos it tastes good. westerners don't have the same tasting senses. That's why westerners go once and never return.
Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Unfortunately, you are wrong MB. You can't get good pizza in Numazu. I have to make it myself :(

The bonus about that BM is the AMAZING pizza's you are able to make.
I was stuck at an event the other day - the choices woodfired pizza or burgers ... I thought "yum woodfired pizza, bleck burger" so we went with a pizza each (they were small individual sized ones) - but mine was a vego, and it was just tomato paste/little bit of cheese and heaps of tinned mushrooms! Gross!. Had the burger the next night - equally gross.

Tonight I knocked out a really awesome sauce to serve with a slow cooked beef roast, and the remainder is going on pizza tomorrow for the kidlets while Papa and I go to a wedding. Sauce, fresh basil leaves, thin strips of ham and mozarella cheese. Delish.

Excuse me, but if you ate it more than 30 miles from the Brooklyn Bridge, it ain't pizza. I've no doubt you liked it (having no concept of what real pizza is) but let me assure you it was not pizza. You have been scammed. It's not your fault, and there's no need to feel guilty...

BUT DO NOT REFER TO THAT CRAP AS PIZZA! iamright

Originally Posted By: Go Native
The oysters in Bang Bang

'cos it tastes good. westerners don't have the same tasting senses. That's why westerners go once and never return.

Rubbish. It's little more than a typical izakaya. I've eaten at practically 100's of similar restaurants throughout Japan and it's nothing that special. Quite a few in Kutchan I would rate higher and certainly cheaper. Somehow it's just got onto the 'to do' list for the Hongkonese so of course they all have to do it. Not saying it's bad but there are better places.
Happy for all you Hongkonese to eat there though so we don't have to put up with you in better restaurants. thumbsup