lol

Nay, All I am saying is just be prepared.

I´ve been in situations when I have broken bones and I sort of know it. All I want is stong painkillers.

2 seasons ago I broke my elbow from a snowboarding fall and I just wanted to splint it up and keep going only if I had carried some first aid stuff.

I´m giving you all a tip because I´ve done this a lot waiting in a hospital for 2 hours, waiting because it is not a immediate care situation. (About 5 times in my late 40´s)

Twice in a German hospital telling them to give me a painkiller and not getting it until I saw a doctor.

I really don´t need doctors help unless the broken bone needs immediate surgery. You can sus this out.

You can go back home to your home country or at a later date do that. I don´t have travel insurance so that´s what I do.

Man, If you think this is pessimistic, you won´t cut it as a skydiver. I have been at dropzones and we(skidivers) see people hit the ground dead in front of us. We keep going the next day. Getting killed or hurt doing what we wanna do.

There are a lot of people who don´t think ahead. Later complain that no one has told them or warned them....

Next tip.

Know about the terrain you are on and know about the weather.

Don´t go off piste on your own.

I´m on the glaciers a lot. There are crevasses. I have been to mountains in early season when you can see what it´s like without snow.

Where there are rocks. Where crevasses can form. Hike were you ski/board in summer season is a great idea. If you know there is a steep grassy area, you know it can slide.

Know the mountain. Which direction its facing. When the wind is blowing this way in general, it´s blowing that way in this valley, mountain ... weather, weather, weather... know the history of weather up to now.

I´d like to have another pair of eyes on me. Like scuba diving. Buddy system.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
lol
Nay, All I am saying is just be prepared.

... Man, If you think this is pessimistic, you won´t cut it as a skydiver. I have been at dropzones and we(skidivers) see people hit the ground dead in front of us. We keep going the next day. Getting killed or hurt doing what we wanna do.
There are a lot of people who don´t think ahead. Later complain that no one has told them or warned them....

Hell man, you're extreme!

I guess skydiving isn't a professional option for me, then. People falling from the sky and splatting in front of me would kinda freak me for a least two or three days, I'd think...

Get a guide. You will be shown good places. Where the powder is and if it´s safe at that moment.

I think moguls and powder situations are where the learning curve is steep. I really feel that I am a beginner when I´m on deepish powder. It´s that catch-22, you gotta find powder to practice but you still have to be able to board a bit to do it. If you pick a not so steep slope and fall, you are stuffed...

If you have a nice steep section and see a flat section, don´t over estimate it will carry you through. If you see someone´s track down there, go towards it. Could be your ticket out from getting stuck.

I wish I´m good enough to say, ALL pow is good pow.

So easy to do it on fluffy stuff. Difficult to do when you go on the heavier stuff.

If you are in a mountain and you see ski tracks, and don´t know where that´s going, don´t follow. He´s probably on touring skis.

Stick to the markers when you are on a glacier.

Mitch's Tips:

-When dropping a cliff it is better to lean back more than forward

-When dropping a BIG cliff you might as well do a flip on purpose because you are going to land on your head/back anyway

-Mommy cannot help you when you are speeding through a couloir, don't call for her

-When/if you see your landing after flipping or spinning...lock on your eyes and don't let them drift away

-Powder is soft, rocks aren't

-It is better to over rotate a backflip than under rotate, likewise it is better to under rotate a front flip than over rotate

-If you lose your ski in the deep snow do not frantically dig, instead use the probe out of your backpack. If you don't have a probe then frantically dig.

-Faster is almost always better

-Trees are usually reluctant to move

-They don't make helmets for knee ligaments

-You will get hurt if you push yourself enough (be prepared in school, job, wife, kids, etc)

-Always be filming, you never know what you will capture

Pete, still have your 160 NeverSummer? Not happy with your new LibTec?

I think people who like to ride Twin wants to keep that centered stance. In powder that means you don´t have the leverage of a setback stance and smaller tail, being able to sink the tail easy to lift your nose.

So having a powder rocker (a bigger one in nose and smaller one in tail)

is necessary.

Tex would be happy with his dope (Jones Flagship), but if you have 2 new snowboards of your choice, what would you buy?

I think I´d buy a Jones Solution split 161.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Ah sorry Tex now I think I understand - on a directional you can still ride a little switch if needed.
Indeed. smile
Originally Posted By: Jynxx

Tex would be happy with his dope (Jones Flagship), but if you have 2 new snowboards of your choice, what would you buy?

I think I´d buy a Jones Solution split 161.

I would actually like a Jones Twin though I don't ride switch much at all I LOVE the finish and would like to be buttering better.

Will be much happier in 3 weeks when I can point that Flagship down a hill and not just the garage door smile

whee! fun thread! smile I just got my bataleon airobic through the door today so now all stoked and hyped for niseko (not that it will help much). Definitely looking forward to seeing what the charlie does. Also slightly curious if my 157 quiver killer can deliver a kind of mellow powder ride when im playing out of the gates and in those natural pipes. Its got a pretty decent setback and was part of the draw of it (i wanted a deck that could handle pipe and pow and it was number one recommendation).

That solution split looks sexy. Starting to seriously consider one now that im thinking a little outside the resorts and contemplating the misery of hiking in snowshoes smile Hopefully i keep the temptation on hold until next season. I think 3 decks in a year is a bit much even if total they cost me $610 (plus shipping and tax - bleh). Still, now its all slightly coming together i might actually be feeling my first tingle of excitement.

Was up the 'Shee today Ippy, and saw loads of bataleon's, seems they are pretty popular over here. I asked a guy about how the edges fared in the crud that was on the hill but he started going on about something totally differenrt then fell over.....think he was a beginner. I've decided NOT to buy a new board, my present one is fine....next year is a different story (perhaps) wink

Since I rarely go over 62kg I cannot comment from experience for riders who are 80kg. For me, a 157 freeride board is a good length for resort and knee depth powder provided I have the right setback.

My experience is that the 159 with little wider waist and nose can add a lot of float in powder but compromises on piste. On piste, I need to move the binding to the nose a bit on this board. I couldn´t control this length with a big setback on the T-Bar and fell off to the side. lol

So I guess for my size, 161 will be the longest I would go, and I will change the binding position depending on the condition.

So for someone who is 80kg, I don´t know if a 157 size will give you enough float, but assuming the board is wider because you have bigger feet, that will add to the float.

I´m sure there are lot of people riding this size as their resort board. Because you have weight, you can lean on your tail and sink it/ lift your nose up in powder. You won´t get that much back leg burn compared to a light weight guy, and if your stance is narrower, even so. This may be the reason you have set your stance narrower.

This is what I´d consider if I were a bigger guy.

I reckon an ALL (big) mountain freeride board 164~166 is a good size and can handle powder and tree situation.

I´d buy that first, and if you have some extra $, get a Fish, Hovercraft, CharlieSlasher 157 length to play. Or even find an old wide board and cut a V in it. Maybe a good practice before splitting your own board...

Another idea is seriously getting a bigger board, Over 170 in size. Really depends how many days you will have on deep powder

Having written all that,

When you are considering a board

Seriously look at the max/min stance width and where those holes are on that snowboard

If you see a board like the Jones with max 28 inch, don´t laugh, it means there are lots of options where you can put your binding. Move it a bit to the front for hard pack, setback for pow...

is that to me jynxxie? Im a cool 70kilos. Wouldnt recommend anyone at 80 to be on a 157 if they want pow. They will be sinking regardless smile I know from personal experience (season 2, 157 artec, 80kilo). I mean so long as you have your speed and its a nice gradient and youre sitting back in the arse of the deck you'll be fine, but when it shallows out and you start losing your speed, well obviously thats when the effort you have to put in to keep that thing floating is a bit much. This was on resort pow as well, so if you dare to go beyond those confines to something a bit more open (with more variation in gradients), then chances are it probably DEFINITELY wont hold up for you. Youll be nose diving with the best of them smile

(oooh, i should stress this is only if youre on a standard cam non pow specific board).

Another data point for bigger guys (185cm, 90 kilos here), I've a cambered 09/10 Custom 165 Wide and ride a 23" stance width. I think the waist width on this is a bit more than 26cm.

The reference points are at -.4" and with another 1" back it's controllable in boot to thigh deep powder, with some more room to go back if you need it. Low angle powder is still going to get you buried unless you're carrying enough speed. If the piste is chopped up and you're bombing down it, you're going to get bounced around but it can be handled.

It would be nice to get a longer board for the low angle stuff but at 165 it's already a hassle fitting the board into most gondolas. As I ride goofy, it's also a pain keeping my board out of everyone's way on quad/triple lifts.

Thanks for the input Armadillo,

Really appreciate it. friend thumbsup

I think nothing but a long board can carry whatever-the-weight on low angle powder.

I wonder if you can fit the long swallowtails, RadAir Tanker, etc. in the gondola... hope I get to try it out one day, by that I mean on the slope.

Fast single lifts are great. Just take it off and carry it.

Tips: (my personal ones in my head)

*Do not fixate on a objective, target (like a perfect line...)

*Have Plan B (and C...)

*A mountain is a mountain even when it has lifts and is called a resort.

*The terrain that looks great to snowboard to an average person, is more likely to slide (avalanche). Where it´s flat is less likely to slide and where it´s steep had probably done so.

*Slopes look flatter from below and steeper from the top

*Move away from where avalanches can go. (where it funnels, gullies ..)

*Always look for and head to a safer spot(less likely to slide) when you snowboard.

*Change your fall line so if you triggered a small avi from where you started, you don´t get caught from behind.

*Don´t end up close to trees or a cliff edge.

• 4 weeks later...

This one you probably never heard it before.

It comes from me so you´ll probably laugh it off lol

For freeriders who don´t go switch often.

Tighten up your nose side snowboard boot and wear your tailside boot loose.

OK these things are personal preference. Heavier people need stiffer boots. However, snowboard boots are not made like hardshell ski boots where forward lean is built into the boot itself. With snowboarding, you do that with the binding, but with the binding pressing against a already stiff boot, it tends to push out your boot forward making it difficult to bang the boot into the cupped heel bit.

My assumption here is that the snowboard boot doesn´t have enough forward lean, and that´s what I am finding.

I don´t like my foot lifting off the sole or slipping in my boot. But I find that as long as the front boot is tight, it works great. By keeping the real boot loose, I can bend forward more and that gives me a nice flexible style.

I´d advice caution about buying stiff boots

That's an interesting point and one definitely worth considering. I think most people overlook the importance of adjusting their boots properly. During a day on the hill I probably think more about my boots than I do my bindings. My preference in almost all situations is having tighter lower laces and looser upper laces. I can feel the board much easier with them adjusted like that... it's definitely more of a work out on my legs but I feel like I have much more control. My boots are the Burton Ions with the 'speed zone lacing system' that allows you to adjust the top and bottom part of the boot independently.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
That's an interesting point and one definitely worth considering. I think most people overlook the importance of adjusting their boots properly. During a day on the hill I probably think more about my boots than I do my bindings. My preference in almost all situations is having tighter lower laces and looser upper laces. I can feel the board much easier with them adjusted like that... it's definitely more of a work out on my legs but I feel like I have much more control. My boots are the Burton Ions with the 'speed zone lacing system' that allows you to adjust the top and bottom part of the boot independently.

Totally with you on that.
The extra work out is welcome as well as in winter I don't get much other!