Germany sucks because ...

Have you ever been to Japan, Jynxx?

wink

I can imagine growing up, visiting more than a few days, and living in London is a shitty thing. I sympathise with anyone dealt that hand.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: thursday
Boney M were Germans no?

Sort of. Boney M was a synthetically created group just like The Monkeys or The Sex Pistols. It was invented and produced by Frank Farian (which also created Milli Vanilli).

The main "singer" (Bobby Ferrel (sp?)) was Dutch, however, he didn't sing at all. It was the voice of Farian.

I find Germany cool:
Best cars
Nice to drive
Good location with easy access to plenty of EU countries
Close to good good ski resorts
Cool music
Best döner in the world
Best breads
Aldi

Yes, TV is mostly dubbed, but sometimes it's two channels and one channel will be original language. I however don't watch TV, and specially wouldn't watch dubbed English movies. (Usually it's done well, but I can't see how "Curb Your Enthusiasm" can be dubbed at all into any other language - and it's coming in German language soon.)

Could not resist this Topic.

They { Germans} have world record for the thinnest book in the World. ..........Book of Jokes from Germany...1 page

........and look in their version of yellow pages for Comedians......Dead funny........They share this title with Slavs actually...no disrespect to either but hey.....GET A SENSE OF HUMOUR......

To be fair, people have different sense of humour so leave that alone. We can easily start calling silly and stupid depending where you come from. And you probably don´t speak the language. Counter argument, the more jokes you have the dumber disply you are... just funny.

I will remind people that I learn HochDeutch (high German) at school but listen to people speak Bayerisch (Bavarian) at home. Different language and different mentality.

OK some great stuff here.

The bread is great thumbsup

Close to the Alps thumbsup

Rational people thumbsup

No bible bashers thumbsup

No junk mail thumbsup

The trucks are not allowed to overtake on Autobarn and sticks to the slowest lane thumbsup

but..

Aldi thumbsdown thumbsdown and so do the shops and supermarkets. thumbsdown

price of food (fruit and veg, fish) thumbsdown

Compulsory medical insurance thumbsdown

low wages thumbsdown

Public transport price thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown

No china town (overpriced and shitty Japanese and Chinese food) thumbsdown No thai food thumbsdown

Lack of sea food. thumbsdown

Pay toilets thumbsdown

ticket vending machines that only takes to the closest notes. Example, if you buy a 7euro it will only take 10euro notes, not 20. thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown

Let's have a look at some points:

No junk mail thumbsup

Well, I got a lot in my physical mailbox then.

The trucks are not allowed to overtake on Autobarn and sticks to the slowest lane thumbsup

They are allowed to overtake, but they do have to stick generally to the slow.

Aldi thumbsdown thumbsdown and so do the shops and supermarkets. thumbsdown

Not sure what you look for. Aldi has certainly a narrowed selection. "Normal" markets have way more stuff.

price of food (fruit and veg, fish) thumbsdown

What you compare it to? DE is certainly much cheaper then HK or JP.

Compulsory medical insurance thumbsdown

Well... the social system.... I get that point.

low wages thumbsdown

??

Public transport price thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown

It can be expensive for those that just hop on a train. But there are all sort of discounts, special tickets, whatever passes etc. Takes a bit of study though. A casual inner city bus ride is certainly expensive. (There seem to be no discount for JR whatsoever). I usually rent a car when visiting Germany.

No china town (overpriced and shitty Japanese and Chinese food) thumbsdown No thai food thumbsdown

That would take some dedicated searching in the larger cities. (Just helped a friend to locate green papaya in Augsburg.)

Lack of sea food. thumbsdown

I'm from the sea and there was plenty of sea food. Plenty of lake fish too.

Pay toilets thumbsdown

I avoid those. I know that shopping malls also sometimes have a 'tray with coins plus a keeper', but I am not sure if you are legally obliged to pay. On the Autobahn Tankstelle you need to pay, but on unmanned "Raststelle" you don't.

ticket vending machines that only takes to the closest notes. Example, if you buy a 7euro it will only take 10euro notes, not 20. thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown

...and if there is one it would probably be vandalized. IMHO there is nothing in the world that beats the Hong Kong Octopus System.

• 2 weeks later...

And who said German didn't have any taste.

Quote:
John Travolta to receive German Golden Camera award

US actor John Travolta is to receive one of Germany's top entertainment honours, the Golden Camera.

The Pulp Fiction star will collect the award for best international actor at a ceremony in Berlin on 5 February.

Travolta, 56, was praised by German listings magazine Horzu, organisers of the awards, as "one of the greatest actors in the world".

Previous winners of the honour include Bruce Willis, Nicolas Cage and Richard Gere, last year's recipient.

Probably right. lol

• 3 weeks later...

I was waiting for the train playing a game on my phone.

Saw two pairs of boots in front of me.

They ask me for some ID.

"What´s this?"

°Passport"

I give them my passport and they radio in

"Take your hand out of the pocket"

"What!"

"Take your hand out of your pocket. This will take just 2 min"

Typical German cops for you.

They are just out there to hassle for no reason.

Strange story. I wonder what their motives were. I think that happens not too often in Germany.

What sounds rough here is maybe due to communication problems. Those police on the beat may not speak English well. Plus they like your hands to be were they can see them. Attacks on police are on the rise in Germany so I fully understand that. Why they asked you in the first place puzzles me.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I was waiting for the train playing a game on my phone.
Saw two pairs of boots in front of me.
They ask me for some ID.
"What´s this?"
°Passport"
I give them my passport and they radio in
"Take your hand out of the pocket"
"What!"
"Take your hand out of your pocket. This will take just 2 min"

Typical German cops for you.
They are just out there to hassle for no reason.

Don't be so surprised Jynxx. It happens everywhere...

I had a similar situation when I lived in France (probably because I was hanging out with an Arabic looking guy) and three times now in Japan. It can make you feel pretty unwelcome in your own home, can't it...?

lol

nah, I can look respectable. wink

I just don´t like it when I am minding my own business, a cop comes around for nothing.

Go bust a crim.

They have a habit to hem you in. Too close in my spsce. I had my arms lightly crossed in front. Hate German cops.

When my German is good enough, I´m gonna tell them,

"Beware when you look into the mirror in the morning, You might not like what you see."

If they wore suits and tells me he is an immigration officer, that´s OK by me.

• 7 months later...

OK, an update on how dumb Germans can be.

I get a DHL packet sent from USA, it arrives in 3 days express. That would have taken a week at least the other way round btw.

I wasn´t able to get to the door to recieve it this morning, so I go to the local Packstation - automated system where you can scan the barcode and pick it up. Guess what !? I can only pick it up from the Express Packstation that is on the other side of Munich, the only one.

Since it is an Express service, you would imagine you can get it asap and the system should fulfill that objective by putting it in your local Packstation ... Not how these bone heads think. Now I have to wait till tomorrow between 12 and 5 and that is as close as you can get to arrange a new delivery appointment.

Germany has the worst post service. You actually end up getting different quotes when you go to a different post office. My local one is pretty shitty, and especially this one person I avoid as a plague. I drive to next town when I see her there.

The next town isn´t all that good either. Once I sent a International packet, and got given a tracking number that didn´t work. This particular Dhl packet didn´t arrive in Austrlia for 3 weeks even it had been sent Priority.

You might think, I am having these one-off bad lucks ?

How´s this. I sent an express air mail and it took 3 weeks to get to Australia.

Germans being rational/productive/efficient is just a myth....