Hi all,

Thanks for the awesome forum, I have been reading and learning for some time.

In early January my wife and I are off to Hakuba for a couple of weeks. We are intermediate skiers but its our first time outside of Australia. We were thinking of getting a half day lesson in Hakuba mainly to learn the good places to get to.

My questions are;

1. Is this a good way to find the nice spots that we like to ski?

2. What are the going rates for instructors in Hakuba?

I have tried searching the forums for info, but cant seem to find anything on the topic.

I appreciate the help.

Shayne

I paid something like 230,000 yen for a full day and I would recommend it to anyone, and that is very cheap for the instructor i got :), but japan is very cheap for lessons, i suggest you get a few if you wish to improve.

Originally Posted By: Korbzy
I paid something like 230,000 yen for a full day and I would recommend it to anyone, and that is very cheap for the instructor i got :), but japan is very cheap for lessons, i suggest you get a few if you wish to improve.

230,000yen?! omg

surely 23,000?
Originally Posted By: Korbzy

I'd rather just keep my 230k thank you very much
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Lessons usually cost something like this

- around 2-3,000 yen for half day (2 hours)
- around 4,000 yen for a full day (4 hours)

Hey, that's pretty cheap, even for group lessons. Where is that?
Places I've checked charge about twice that per hour for group lessons.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
what are the spots that you like to ski?! Psychic readings are not SJ's forte really! wink

Mostly groomed runs. We usually go to Perisher each year and ski 100% of the three resort areas there.

This idea is almost a guided tour type of thing, with someone who will also give some good pointers on skiing techniques.
  • SnowJapan Admin

Yes, the short post you made was basically "here's my friends website".

The forums guidelines are very clear on that.

If you feel the need to make a point about this, feel free to email us. Don't do it on here please. Thanks.

Smostyn, I would say you are after a private lesson since there are specific things you want. If you go the group lesson the others in the group may just want to learn to ski and that is best done lapping the same run.

Go the full day private early in your trip and learn something on the first morning then get guided around the hill in the arvo practicing what you learned in the morning.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag

Go the full day private early in your trip and learn something on the first morning then get guided around the hill in the arvo practicing what you learned in the morning.

Thanks Captain, your post was just the kick up the ass I needed to book a lesson for this trip!

Private lessons defo rocks !

Here in Europe, some will equip you with beacon and stuff, even demo snowboard to take you freeriding.

Since we are on a mission for pow and freeriding, we are looking into this. Don´t want to fall into crevasses or rocks underfoot.

But yeah, 200-250 euro for 4 hrs is expensive.