On previous years I have managed to snowboard December 1st. Shit, a few years ago I did a few turns the day after thanksgiving. I'm looking at Hakkoda and as of Dec. 7th there is no real accumulation.

I can't take this anymore. There is just so many times you can keep yourself busy repacking your gear. I swear this is getting to be almost as bad as quitting smoking.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Yama, I hear ya about the weather. Everyone back home has been getting the goods since Thanksgiving. In fact, I skied in Maine on Oct 24th, just before departing for Japan. Don't worry, the snow gods will bless us shortly! console

I also am very interested in Hakkoda. I would love to take you up on your offer. Particularly in the early season, so please holler if you get the mother lode up there and I'll come runnin'.

Cheers!

If I'm going, I'll be happy to meet up. If I wasn't going, I'll be happy to have an excuse to go biggrin

And for the record I'm not a guide nor ever care to be one. I value my free time too much.

• SnowJapan Admin

About PMs. I have noticed a lot of talk about them in a few threads recently. It takes a while for new members to get access to those. But we are also having some issues with them for some accounts and frankly why it is happening is eluding us.

To say that we are extremely busy doing a lot of things is almost an understatement... lots of things that are for the general benefit of the site and for a large number of people using it. The sheer volume of stuff that we are working on is actually at times a bit overwhelming, but we are doing our very best to constantly improve the site and put up new stuff etc.

So I am sorry that I have to say that individual Private Message issues really are not exactly top of the list of our priorities, so you will just have to bear with us on that front. It would be good if we could not please keep on bringing it up in multiple threads all the time as well. We are aware that there are some issues and it is on our list of things to do.

Thanks for your understanding.

friend

• SnowJapan Admin

My apologies. I meant to also add - if you are having problems, please let us know by email and we will look into it and if there is a clear solution we will try to fix it up for you.

It has been a very long few days!

Thanks.

yeah I waxed and edged my board on saturday.....it was fine sunny weather, I went out cycling on Sunday and even got a slightly red-sunburnt head!! Its December FFS!!!! I WANT SNOW!!

Even Scotland's resorts have been open!!

Heavy rain here at the moment, but the forecast has us down for some snow before the night is out. Will be interesting to see if that materialises or not.

If not oh well I am off to Europe tomorrow for a week, they have plenty of snow, i'll see if I can hook the clouds on to the back of the plane on the way back and tow the snow over to Japan, lol!

I'm just flipping through my old pictures, lusting after the snow. Here is a shot with about 25 feet of accumulation

yamabushi_1.jpg

There is one spot (not common to be on that particular side but there non the less) where if you are not paying attention, the road can sneak up on you and you may end up doing a Will E. Coyote...

I only have a few pics at work. I'll see if I can sneak the time to upload them.

yamabushi_2.jpg

This shot was at the end of the roll, underexposed and stained by the chemicals. It took some trickery with the film scanner to get it to show.

I love this one. The day was a cold stormy day mid March. It was like stepping into another reality. That day I exchanged glazes with a Kamushika (Japanese serow), the kind of encounter that can make you a believer on the Yokai (spirits or demons, depending on who you ask).

Damn it I need snow.

Morning guys,

I'm looking to organise a skiing trip to go to Niseko this weekend but I have just learned that there is little to no snow up there.

Can anyone provide an accurate update or suggest an alternative? I can go to pretty much anywhere in Japan.

Any help would be much appreciated

This is the link to all resorts on Hokkaido. Scroll down and look at the ones that actually have some snow.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/resorts/atozlisting1.php?prefecture=Hokkaido

Sapporo Kokusai seems to be a safe bet. They have 80cm of snow, the weather looks like it will remain bellow freezing, and it is not that far from Sapporo. I have never been there so I can't tell you if it is any good.

• SnowJapan Admin

Actually I just need to make one thing clear about those snow numbers on the link above - they have stopped updating at the moment, they should be back with us soon as we sort a few technical issues out.

Working to get it sorted as soon as possible.

friend

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like Sapporo Kokusai definitely is the safest bet.

I'm having a little trouble in finding anywhere online for places to stay in Sapporo Kokusai online though.

There doesn't appear to be a listing on SJ and google isn't coming up with many suggestions.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or offer any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: nmw116
Morning guys,

I'm looking to organise a skiing trip to go to Niseko this weekend but I have just learned that there is little to no snow up there.

Can anyone provide an accurate update or suggest an alternative? I can go to pretty much anywhere in Japan.

Any help would be much appreciated

Only you can decide, but I would change this weekend to next weekend. For anywhere in Japan.