Hey guys,

Its now coming time for the northern snow season and I am ready for some action, though my gloves aren't! they were terrible at Perisher, I am 90% sure that there was a thread before called "glove recommendation" but i can't find it, tried the search function and its not bringing anything up so if anyone does find it please link so a Mod can delete this Thread.

So this is what I am after, I am looking for a great warm glove that has great movement and durability, I was thinking of those leather hide ones where you spray on waterproof substance but I am not too familiar with them so it would be great if you could please share your experience with them.

Also I have a budget of $200.

Thanks in advance smile

I've recently switched to mittens and don't think I'll ever go back to using gloves. Much warmer and durable as well as being easier and quicker to dry. I was worried about issues with dexterity of using gloves but after a season of using them I no longer worry about it at all.

I bought a nice pair of gloves on my last US trip, don't remember the brand.

But what I'm lusting after is a pair of 3-finger Hestra Heli gloves. Much of the advantages of mittens, but with more dexterity thanks to the independent index finger. Plus they look great! At 14,000 yen in Tokyo they're within your budget, Korbzy.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I've recently switched to mittens and don't think I'll ever go back to using gloves.

how do you find using mittens with the poles? I could understand they would be warmer but like you said dexterity is the issue.

Hestra helis like Jim said are amazing. They are pretty tough, warm, and comfortable. Used them a lot last year.

The Black diamond virago is a good choice as well. Very warm and really durable. Pretty thick so on the cold days it will be perfect. Wouldn't recommend it for spring though.

Lastly, the mountain hardwear bazuka will get the job done.

hope this helps

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
I've recently switched to mittens and don't think I'll ever go back to using gloves. Much warmer and durable as well as being easier and quicker to dry. I was worried about issues with dexterity of using gloves but after a season of using them I no longer worry about it at all.

Same...recent convert. Burton Goretex Mittens are pretty good, as the undergloves are full fingered. Burtons AK Oven mitten is pretty impressive too, but they dont have an underglove.

I don't use wrist guards. I had a pretty expensive branded pair that didn't last 1 season, last time I was home I went into a Tresspass shop and bought a pair for 16 quid and they have lasted 2 seasons and are still in great nick. thick, warm, undergloves and I've nver had wet fingers with them.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
If you are a boarder make sure you take your wrist guards with you when you try on your new set, dont ask me how I know.

Mittens are great when its colder.

im a skiier, so not sure how mittens would go with my poles
Originally Posted By: Korbzy
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
If you are a boarder make sure you take your wrist guards with you when you try on your new set, dont ask me how I know.

Mittens are great when its colder.

im a skiier, so not sure how mittens would go with my poles

not a problem at all
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
The bloody waterproofing sprays just don´t work !
I´m pulling out the wrist guard and see if I can wear them in others!

Nikwax makes a gel that I use. Just rub it into your gloves and it works amazing!

Mittens are fine with poles

another vote for the Hestra 3 finger gloves - they are the perfect winter glove and when (if) my pair wear out I will just buy another pair.

As with any decent winter glove though you need seperate spring gloves.

I have been using the waterproof thinsulate gloves that you have for motorbikes and they keep my hands both dry and very warm even during a snow storm.

I have had them about 5 seasons or more now, and I think they will still do another season or two.

Having said that as I am off to Europe tomorrow for a week or so if I happen to find a nice pair of new gloves I will probably buy some.

Relyling on the waterproofing spray alone is no good, it doesnt work for long. Go for waterproof thinsulates, you wont be dissapointed.

Originally Posted By: Slippery Jim
I bought a nice pair of gloves on my last US trip, don't remember the brand.
But what I'm lusting after is a pair of 3-finger Hestra Heli gloves. Much of the advantages of mittens, but with more dexterity thanks to the independent index finger. Plus they look great! At 14,000 yen in Tokyo they're within your budget, Korbzy.

damnit they look awsome, this is a great investment imo, i will look into these for sure, pitty i cant find any aussie stores that stock hestra, i was looking on the website for the seth morrison ones and they look great.

what type of balm do you put on the leather and is it cheap/expensive ?
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

think you use Kreemofsumyung-gai

leave troll... your not wanted here
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

think you use Kreemofsumyung-gai

I thought that was your favourite soup.