Hey all, Rob got me thinking about Hakkoda recently. Has anyone been? Going to go? Dreaming of doing it?

I'm pretty keen on heading up there at some point but really don't know what to expect. I've read through the reviews and journals on this site but am wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge.

For those who are interested, JR has recently completed the last leg (for now) of the Tohoku shinkansen (bullet train) that connects Tokyo to Aomori. That means city to city in just over 3 hours for about 16,000Y (no transfers).

Originally Posted By: SKI
It's not much of a skijo as such just the ropeway going up and a run down. Fab snow apparently. And very very cold.

Ya, that don't sound "Better than Niseko" for sure..

Hakkoda, the happiest place on earth biggrin

January and February can be a bit too much for those not used to it; near blizzard conditions every day, visibility of about 15 feet, soft snow up to your chest, and a good chance that the gondola will be closed due to high winds. On March when the weather settles a bit the entire mountain range is yours to play with.

Beware the reviews from the morons that stick to the two courses. They judge Hakkoda on less than 1% of the terrain, and none of it (snow to your chest not withstanding) is the true back country.

I snowboard there about twice a week. If you come look me up; I would be happy to show you some of the fun runs.

Whatever you do, don't leave without visiting the Tsukayu onsen.

Originally Posted By: yamabushi
Beware the reviews from the morons that stick to the two courses.

Why exactly are they "morons"?

And why not post your own to redress the balance and tell people "the truth", rather than just badmouth other people?

wakaranai

I've heard that to really enjoy the place a guide is needed for the first few times till you become orientated with the terrain, I've heard that there are some pretty dangerous spots that are quite easy to go into if you don't know where your going.....however I haven't been, but I would fancy a bash at it.

gone

BM and anyone else interested, I tried to find out why the PM wasn't working and got that final reply from the moderator...? I don't get it. And it's not like I was looking for info, I was trying to share some I picked up last season. Have a good season dudes, will see you in Niseko and elsewhere I'm sure.

+1 on more details as would love to check it out this year. I was in Aomori this summer for the Nebuta Matsuri and met a local who raved about it. He had a big grin on his face as he was talking about the terrain but that may have been the sake! lol

It is a place that you need to know your way around a little bit to enjoy, because lots of the time you will have to feel your way around trying to keep track of where you are in your head.

Once you get to the tree line, a 100m or so below the top of the ropeway, the vis clears up because of the trees and assuming you found your way to the right spot then the fun starts.

If you go the wrong way you could end up having to do a little walking (through deep snow) to get out again.

Getting a guide to show you a few spots that are accessable from the ropeway on the first day will greatly enhance your experience.

Only go BC without a guide if you are prepared to navigate in zero visability, though generally if you keep going downhill you will find a road eventually, though you could find yourself in dangerous terrain along the way.

People who know the place and where to go love it with a passion. Often new visitors arrive and have a go, hate the place because they end up in all the wrong places, end up walking and have a terrible time, bad mouth the place on the internet making (some of) the people who know and love the place get all agitated. (because, I assume, if their fav ski place is in fact crap then they must be crap skiers??..i dunno, is that why some people dont like Niseko being called flat??)

I would say if you are going to go, go for a decent amount of time so that you can figure out how to enjoy it best. Or if you think its not worth investing the time learning your way around perhaps somewhere where the goods are right under the lift might be a better option.

I'm confused. What's all this 'PM me' stuff about?

If the reviews that are there now are all written by 'morons', and if you are so concerned with the injustice that this place is getting because of said reviews, and if you want to tell more people about this incredible place, why don't you go post one yourself. Here you go, real easy:

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/insider/member_resort_review.php

That should re-dress the balance a bit, though I reckon if you go on about morons it won't get posted.

But, but, if you simply don't want the people to 'find out', then why are you posting here?

confused

By the way, PM me if you have trouble posting a resort review.

whats the agro about? Tlen is offering free advice to anyone who wants (but only if they express a desire to know) and the other guy is actually offering to show people around. 2 great offers for anyone who actually wants to go.

but they are being attacked. ??

people are strange...

To be fair, all mountains are dangerous in winter if you don't know where you're going.

Some guides in Japan are self-proclaimed or equally dubious, so don't just trust anyone.

Hey, I'm happy that some people answered me. Tlen, I sent you a PM so when you get a chance please hit me up with any relevent details! Cheers dude!

As for the tudes... well, no one has been insulted by name so who cares. In my experience there are loads of morons out there... and there are loads of cool people. Take a deep breath and think about cold dry powder snow!

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: Tlen
gone
BM and anyone else interested, I tried to find out why the PM wasn't working and got that final reply from the moderator...? I don't get it. And it's not like I was looking for info, I was trying to share some I picked up last season. Have a good season dudes, will see you in Niseko and elsewhere I'm sure.

Could you please explain that comment Tlen? [The above one that you just edited now]
What exactly is it that you are "not getting"?
Are we supposed to have done something wrong here?
When you say you tried to find out why the PM wasn't working, what exactly did you do? - because we have not heard anything from you today.
And what "final reply from the moderator" are you referring to?
If you mean my post above, it wasn't being directed towards you because as far as I know you have not sent us any such comments.