Manila based family needs advise about Japan ski vacation

Hi!

we are a German-filippino family and would like to try out to ski in Japan this coming February. (the kid's vacation don't match this year's european skiing season).

Have been trying to do some online research and it seems that getting around in Japan is not too easy for a first timer..

Here is the deal:

We arrive in Japan on Feb 21 and depart again of Feb 28. We would either arrive in Tokio or Nagoya.

Any sugestions from the Japan locals what would be the EASIEST travel itineray. If possible want to avoid to rent a car and rather go by train to the ski resorts.

All of us are beginners and the idea is to let the kids practise their skiing skills they learnt last year in Austria.

We look for :

- a ski resort closed to either Tokio or Nagoya where non japanese speaking first timers can get around

- availablity of basic english speaking ski teachers for the kids

- a budget accomodation (does this exist in Japan??)in walking distance to the ski lifts

Any recommendiations for ski resorts and budget accomodations which are easy to reach from either Tokio or Nagoya?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greetings from Manila

Serbi

Serbi

Hakuba is reasonably easy to get to from Tokyo (2 trains and a bus) or direct transfer from the airport which might be cost effective for your whole family. The accommodation section here will be a great place to look re places to stay.

If you are only there a week another option might be some day trips out of Tokyo or a couple over nighters as Tokyo is well worth a look.

I'd reckon that Hakuba in Nagano would fit the bill best, dunno about flying into Nagoya, but fly into Tokyo and you can take a train through to Nagano station....you may have to change in Ueno or Shinjuku. Then from Nagano station you can get the shuttle bus up to Hakuba. Maybe the Hakuba ppl could tidy that up a bit. Hakuba is the most International of Honshu resorts, it has a range of different accomodation, restaurants and bars, good snow and I think it has english speaking staff. The other easy resort for a 1st timer is Niseko up in Hokkaido, they definitely have English speaking instructors and of course the snow is great, the accomdation range is vast BUT you have to take another flight from Tokyo (or Nagoya I suppose) up to Hokkaido then get an airport shuttle to the resort

thanks for your feedback guys - really appreciated.

Any idea about the costs to get via train from Tokio to Nagano?

Have been checking a few hotels in the japanese ski resorts and it seems that the minimum price per person is around 8,000 yen..we are 2 adults and 2 kids, so we would need to pay at least 350US$ / nite (which I find superexpensive)..well guess we are spoiled by Philippine prices yummy

Is there anyway to find an accomodation for max 200 US$ for 2 adults and 2 kids for 4-5 days in Hakuba? (backpackerstyle?)

Thanks again for your help!

Peace

Serbi

First of all - thanks to all the helpfull feedback so far - it has been really a big help.

Best skier in Habuka : thanks for your links regarding affordable budget accomodations. We are now in touch with a few decently priced hostels & BB's.

Mr. Wiggles : Our kids are 6 & 9 years old. Our 6 years old daughter probably would need a 2-3 days refresher course, our 9 years old boy should be up and running again after 1 day with a ski teacher. I assume it won't be a big deal to find a ski teacher in Habuga who knows some english?

We may stay in a place in walking distance to Habuka Gory and Habuka 47 lifts...are these beginner slopes / lifts?

Lastly - what would it costs us to get via train from Tokyo to Habuga? Any idea?

Thanks again for your help !

The rates charged for kids relative to the adult rate can vary wildly. Some places with higher adult rates may charge very little, bringing the total into your budget.

Along with the backpackers listed on the site, Mont Blanc at Goryu would have been my first guess for somewhere cheap.