new to the area, live in taiwan but dying to find freshies in the land of the rising sun. been reading this post to keep up with the local happenings and to plan next years trip. Haven't seen or heard anything about freeheelers (no not freeskiers). What's the tele scene like? are there any backcountry huts to ski? any local tele shops, events, competitions? what's the haps up there? looking for fellow knee droppers.

Try those sites (few of the many), Japanese only but you'll get an idea from the pics.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~tt3k-ktd/taj-main/taj-main.html

http://www.myokokogen.org/mbss/

http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/henkz/

Free Heelers hang outs are Hokkaido, Tohoku, Niigata, Hakuba to name a few.

Japan is the second biggest Tele market US being no 1.

Steeno,

from what I can gather, Niseko is the ducks nuts. There are also heaps of freeheelers here in Aomori, but we have a woeful selection of equipment to choose from. The few guys I tele with rip pretty hard. Hakkoda has heaps of backcountry with one hut, but only recomended for March-June, otherwise the weather sucks too hard.

Warning - the pow is non-stop - bring some fat skis otherwise you`ll be tip-diving til the cows come home!

Hope that helps,

hem now

Hmmm. The ducks guts? I`ve never heard of that one! Either way, Niseko is the bees knees and the ants pants!

Pity I never made it up there - oh well, Hakkoda isn`t a bad substitute....

hem now

Cant remember the name now, but there is a road that goes over the middle of the island, closed off for one section in winter unless you have chains. There is an abandoned attempt at a ski industry there. Technically, a crazy-arsed BC chap/ess could find something in winter, but the terrain isn't condusive to skiing without a deep covering (between the rocks, scree and bamboo!)

yeah the illha formosa has some peaks that hold some snow. the peaks here are tall and i've been on some hikes in which snow was encountered. also, done some digging for imagery and have seen peaks with big open bowls, slightly filled. so i'm thinking it's possible to get it but it's not something i'm gonna call in sick for. all stashes will require a pretty hefty commitment to a) find and B) to get to. i left my quiver back in the states but will have it for next season. thus my inquiry on the island to my north as i'm scheming for next season's face shots.

what's the offpiste policiy at most resorts? duck no tell, or duck and all hell ? any tele festivals and/or comps? best time to hit bottomless fluff? where are the highest drops and tightest chutes? eek.gif

Steeno,

rope ducking policy varies from no enforcement to violent assault. POw is best in Jan and February, steepest runs and tightest chutes are probably Nagano backcountry (looks like Valdez!), but avvy danger always present. In general, though, Japan is pretty flat by Euro and Nth American Rocky standards - but the pow more than makes up for it!

As for tele comps, festivals - none that I know of, but there`d have to be something somewhere, I guess? Try posting on www.telemarktips.com, thats the definitive international telemark website.

Hope that helps!

Hem now