Japanese breakfasts - what's good, what's not?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breakfast - just a smaller version of dinner.

Just ask for the egg to be cooked if possible.

Lots of good stuff even if you avoid the fish - miso, rice, pickles, omelette, salad. Just watch for the custard in a cup with a bit of octopus or prawn in it.

I hate when they have Natto for kyushoku, the classroom is stinking of it, the kids have the trailers floating from their mouths and chopsticks.....talking with their mouth full of that nasty shit......bleurgh!!! As my dear old Granny would say....

"Pure gies me the boak!!"

Pickles, raw fish, seaweed for breakfast. I'll give that lot a miss.

Best breakfast I have ever had at an accommodation was a guest house in Scotland. It was incredlbe. I seriously did not eat again until late night it was absolutely huge and quality stuff - the full cooked breakfast deal. I could do with that now.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I hate when they have Natto for kyushoku, the classroom is stinking of it, the kids have the trailers floating from their mouths and chopsticks.....talking with their mouth full of that nasty shit......bleurgh!!!

For crying out loud, I've been having freakin' nightmares ever since I read this. Thanks a lot, TB. yummy

A bit of trivia about Natto...

soy beans (daizu) was often used as horse feed in feudal Japan as it was plentiful and a lot cheaper than other feeds and was usually wrapped and carried in straw. The story goes that during a battle campaign, the Minamoto camp was ambushed. They had just started boiling the soy beans for their horses and, in their rush, they just packed it up in their straw containers. When they opened their feed bags, the beans had, of course, fermented. Since their horses generally were worth more than themselves, the soldiers tried the beans first and found that they liked it.

The thing about this story is that it tends to be regionally accurate as well as all the areas that were known for breeding horses tend to like natto where as the regions that were more cattle breeding areas, such as Kansai.

Personally, I can't stand being next to someone who's eating natto.

Going back to breakfasts, personally, I like my eggs sunny side down with some sausages and rice with pickles. My diet is probably an overdose of carbohydrates considering that my portions of rice is a bit over the top...

I also dislike grilled fish, it makes my oven/broiler stink :(

I start off with a little rice in miso soup and some fish roe and squid and some ume on top.

Then I have some bacon, a sausage, a sunny egg.

Then I have some salad with the sesame dressing.

Then I move onto a yogurt.

Then I have a piece of grilled fish and some pickles.

Then I have some natto just for the sake of it.

Then perhaps some fruit.

Originally Posted By: thursday
"Signifcant other" ?????????

Can't you just say, boyfriend, girlfriend? wife, hubby?

That is so annoying.

Careful Thurs..........could be a 40 tonne Sumo........that's significant
Originally Posted By: roscoe
Snowjunky just make sure you dont build that beer can tower to high the night before and I'm sure the breaky will be ok wink

Hey Roscoe - going to miss your contributions to the beer can tower this trip - Have a ball in Hakuba cheers

If there's one thing that will really put me off a place to stay, it's a crappy breakfast. It's one of the most important things, and the last thing / last impression. Get it right!!!

• 3 weeks later...