• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First issue of note has been discovered, the usb cable will only charge from the official outlet plug and not from a pc usb port or a regular outlet usb adapter, or portable lithium charger. Reason it seem s is the galaxy tab while the standard 5 volts , is 2 amps rather than the standard one amp, which all other usb charging devices seem to use.

Guess the battery needd more juice than usual, much like the ipad.

Apparently plugging in a one volt will hold charge but not recharge.

GG, samsung have sold 700000 in the month it had been on the market, I guarantee that by the new year the market will be ripe with accessories for the galaxy tab. I am a little bummed as I have multiple chargers and cables for my old phone, it had a the very common mini usb connection, the same as willcom so I got my last car charger at daiso for 300yen.

Looks like this time won't be so fortunate, shoganai.

Still very pleased with it.

Played a 720pHD h264.mkv video file today, 600mb for 20 min worth of video, many full pcs older than 4,5 years struggle to render such content, but the gtab played it beautifully.

I showed some workmates who were quite staggered by it's performance.

Stoked.

There is actually a car charger out there, an official one, but it doesn't seem that even official accessories are available here yet.

I want a case before I take mine out and about. Real fussy about things like that.

Yeah, I looked on amazon japan - lots of screen protectors and cases- no cables etc.

I want the TV out cables.

217316072.jpg

something like this could be good for the car though. (just googled 2 amp usb car charger an this came up) You will need a the cable though.

exactly mate.

Hooked into a wi-fi router fed by hikari fibre. Using the speedtest app I got 12Mbps down and 5 up.

Downloaded a couple of HD videos- took seconds it was awesome. I pulled out my old htc android phone and hooked into the same wi-fi (uploaded my cardio trainer workouts, updated some apps)- and could only crack 2.5Mbps.

The gTab sure can get the most out of the wi-fi

looking on line at cases and saw "Pdair" - their stuff is highly regarded.

Free intl shipping too.

Pdair case

• 2 weeks later...

Been using the Tab this weekend quite a lot and now after a few weeks here is another better informed verdict.

If I had the ipad and the tab on my table and I wanted to do anything I want to do either on, the ipad wins easy each time. The screen is bigger, it really is a considerably smoother experience. The tab is generally more jerky and doesn't have that same silky smoothness that the ipad does. Hard to describe but there's just an extra layer of quality and finish to the ipad.

The only 2 points I think the tab 'wins' is -- when you need something smaller and when you want to use 3g but don't want to joing Softbank. Oh and flash too, though I must admit I haven't really noticed that, probably because with the smaller screen I would prefer to use the web on the ipad.

wink

I like them both, but ipad wins easy.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads

If I had the ipad and the tab on my table and I wanted to do anything I want to do either on, the ipad wins easy each time. The screen is bigger, it really is a considerably smoother experience. The tab is generally more jerky and doesn't have that same silky smoothness that the ipad does. Hard to describe but there's just an extra layer of quality and finish to the ipad.

Really? I guess with problem with the tab is you need to tweak it to get the best out of it, the stock browser on the tab is slow, but the I have mostly been using "Opera mini" and that is fast and smooth, you would have to be really fastidious to be disappointed with what it delivers.

Sitting at a table, sure the ipad would win, but I carry the tab everywhere with me, it fits in all pockets except Jeans font pockets, and since I am not a Jeans guy thats alright.
Everyday on the train, its my go to weapon: Net, email, video and the bloody Angry birds!!
It slips in and out of my pocket with ease, at the supermarket yesterday there was a long queue - I pulled it out and sent of a email and played angry birds. Sure you can do that with a smaller smartphone, but mailing on the is better, and this is my phone now.

I use it in an many of my private lessons, English learning games for kids and advanced grammar tools for adults. Its always with me.

Similar tools but very different.

If a "ski" analogy is used, the Ipad is fat powder skis. Brilliant in powder but not a all round tool.
The tab is all mountain skiis, can handle the powder but can also perform other tricks in other conditions - more versatile.

So are you a powder skier ( at home at a table, on the cough ) or All mountain skier ( all over the place) ?

As they say "horses for courses". TBH if someone gave me a Ipad I would not so no and use it all the time at home, and take the tab out and about - but I am a one set of skis guy for now.

FWIW GG. Some more good shit on the tab.

Google Earth - is rocking!
Flashlight (by Devesh)- turns the camera flash into a incredibly bright flashlight - brighter than many normal flashlights.
Interactive "Cat in the hat" - kids love it.
Dolphin HD - just got it -trying it, powerful browser with add ons - including "ad block"
Tubemate - for youtube
Google Reader.
Realcalc - good calculator.

p.s bought a wi-fi router. Can get 24Mbps - on the tab. Using my HTC phone can get just 4-5 tops. Interesting.
Originally Posted By: SG
Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads

Really?

Yes.
Really.
Absolutely.
And not just the browser, in general.