Today was supposed to be opening day / weekend in the Niseko Resort Area.

Unfortunately the snow that fell last month and earlier this month has all but disappeared below 700m.

GN or long time Niseko watchers, when was the last time that Niseko missed a scheduled opening day?

And did it impact on the season?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of years haven't had enough snow by now to get lifts open and have gone on to be big snow years. I'm certainly not worried at this stage. If we get to the 2nd week of December and there's still very little I'd start considering it a very late start.

Curious to know when had Japanese ski-joh started opening so early.

In my early years, no ski resort opened during Nov, whether Hokkaido or not. I understand it was to do with the big (re-)surge in popularity and The Bubble.

I know this doesn't apply to Japan because it isn't land locked but a warmer fall/early winter in Utah is usually a sign for a better winter. As the temperature stays warmer the water does as well and it collects more snow when the temps finally do drop.

Looks like a significant system will finally effect Niseko on the 28-30th ish of Nov. So expect the lifts to be open around the last day of Nov/1st of Dec at this stage

Hey MB

Yes I have neglected this forum and concentrated on work but as the time draws near I can't keep away.

Back to the thread, how about no sun but high cloud and no wind with good visibility.

I do like a bluebird though.

Seemore

• 3 weeks later...