Although it appears that Niseko is becoming a 4 letter word around here, I was just there - 13 & 14th - and offer the following brief report...

Having had 3 other overnight trips to Niseko this year already I was very surprized to find the snow to be the best that I have experienced so far this year..... Please account for the fact that I am NOT a powder hound and so the groomed runs, trees and wind blown steeps were absolutely amazing....

Weather on Thursday - partly overcast and some snow and wind, about -5 degrees - snow HARD with a touch of ice in spots but perfect for full on course wide high speed carving....

Friday - SUNNY & -2 degrees - GOOD overnight grooming, beautiful Corduroy & with the snow softened up a bit, it made for huge rooster tails coming off the skis... Off piste was real busy with a line of people hiking the summit off the top of Hirafu till early afternoon...

All I can say is that the weather & snow is a heap better up here than it was last year at this time....

I thought that this might be my last time out this year but now I'm confident that there will be some Great spring skiing this year....

Yippee!, I just found out I won the four day Holiday to Niseko. As I was already going up there from the 22-24 of March, I am going to tack it on to the end of that trip and be up there for 7 days. Second trip up there this year and I love the place. I certainly hope there is a least a few good snow falls left this season. The 2-day mountain tour that comes with the prize should be a hoot! Now I just have to con my boss to give me 5 days off.

Thanks SJ! \:D

• SnowJapan Admin

Very glad to hear you can make the most of it.

Have a great time up there

\:D

PS Please check with NPC - we were under the impression that the mountain tour was for 1/2 day, not 2 days ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by snowboard_freak:
On the whole was the mountain busy?
Certainly not by North American standards or by any other for that matter...

Lift lines were always less than 10 people... probably due to the fact that they don't load chairs here - lots of pairs and singles riding by themselves - and no such thing as a singles line....

The mountain it self wasn't to bad for people except ( putting on fire proof suit now... please wait..... ) for the amazing amount of lazy ass, poser, wanna be snowboarders who park their asses in the middle of the slope in groups like wino's around a fire in a garbage can... They litter the slopes sitting on their asses in the most dangerous places - converging runs, just over a crest of a steep section (I assume it's easier to stand up if you park it on on a steep slope) it is literally amazingly dangerous and the Ski patrol just goes on by and doesn't say a thing...

The beautiful thing about the snow as I mentioned earlier was the ability to throw up HUGE rooster tails of snow off of your skis at speed - I never looked back but it's just possible (from the screams I heard) that a few lazy ass wanna be's parked in the middle of the slope might have caught a little snow of my skis now and then........OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS.... Gomen....

I noticed the same thing when we were there. There were several occasions where i have had to pull up or swerve to avoid people sitting slap bang in the middle of a run. Very annoying indeed.

I haven't really noticed over here as much as i did in Japan though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Higuma:

They litter the slopes sitting on their asses in the most dangerous places - converging runs, just over a crest of a steep section .... it is literally amazingly dangerous and the Ski patrol just goes on by and doesn't say a thing...
If there is one time that the patrol should act almost as police, it is in these cases. It is very dangerous and selfish.

Ocean,

Perhaps you could translate a rather nasty messege in Kanji for us and post it here, so I can paste it onto some meshi and pass them out on the slopes....

Maybe...... Dear ignorant Git..... Perhaps you are unaware of the dangerous and selfish behaveour that you are currently exibiting... perhaps in the future you might consider parking you bony ass somewhere where it will not endanger the rest of us serious snow enthusiasts - like on a park bench in Odori Park or better yet watching snowboard videos at your parents house...

Feel free to elaborate on the script.. but of course I don't need to ask you to soft pedal.. it of course should be polite but snotty and hopefully embarassing to all those who read it...

If you give me your name and contact info I can print it on the reverse side and maybe you will get some business out of the deal.. ;\)