once used to work with this guy who was Vietnamese-Australian, first day of his work, I rock up "slightly" hungover and look at the lesson schedule on the wall to see a teacher called "The". I shout out in a realy obnoxious intolerant hungover way...."hahaha...THE.....who the fook's called THE?".....this guy in the corner calls out...."err me, but its pronounced T".......needless to say I felt very small!! lol

Lots of people who don't really know him, seem to have problems pronouncing my cousins name.

It's David.

For some reason, they seem fit to default it to Dave.

Which isn't his name.

Really pisses him off when people do that.

It's worse when teachers at school think it is appropriate to call my #2 boy Jacob when he is in trouble ... his name is not Jacob, it is just Jake.

I understand Dave, people think..."If I am his mate I should call him Dave", having a David I understand that. He also prefers David to Dave. But shortening a name to a nick name, while annoying, is not half as annoying as expanding it to a name that is not yours.

Definitely!

It's not just mates though, sometimes they see the name and automatically call him Dave without knowing anything about him. Can't imagine doing that myself curious it is.

Originally Posted By: pie-eater
Definitely!

It's not just mates though, sometimes they see the name and automatically call him Dave without knowing anything about him. Can't imagine doing that myself curious it is.

Agreed.

Hee hee hee Christine! lol
Some parents from #3's year group are Christopher and Christine, and both go by Chris. Chris and Chris. I thought it was funny.