Where did you experience the best snow in Japan?

I said Kamui was my best experience but after I got to thinking.

I'm a skier and back when I was at my regular spot 20 years ago...Whistler/Blackcomb... we didn't have the skiis that we have now. Deep pow on 205 Atomic racing skiis wasn't exactly the same experience as the all terrain or park skiis we use today. Even when I was skiing Kamui regularly I was using the first generation of carving ski which were such a change from the "boards" we used in the past.

So, with the planks we use now I must admit I've had some pretty great days at Hakuba. I'm really looking forward to our trip to Hokkaido this year to give Kamui a shot with the new generation of gear.

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Kamui,.. But I used to go there pretty much every weekend.

Were you in Asahikawa? Did you like living there?

Yes...and No.. I officially lived out on the coast in Rumoi but my girlfriend at the time lived in Asahikawa and I crashed at her place most weekends. Asahikawa is probably my favorite place in Japan. We're thinking of moving back up that way. My wife is an Hokkaido girl and hates Shizuoka.

what move and leave the onsen behind?

Niseko, Feb 04. Went up for three days with a friend when I was still living in Tokyo. Got there a day late after the plane was turned back on day 1 10 minutes before landing due to a massive storm. Finally arrived and half the mountain was closed as the storm had wrecked so many lifts. Still had a good time skiing the bottom half of the mountain as the snow was really heavy but felt a bit let down after all the hype.

On the last evening at about 6pm all the day tripper buses had just left, the hill was all but empty and we were getting ready to call it a day when they reopened the top of the mountain. Got up top to be greeted by untouched, dry, waist deep powder with no more than a couple of dozen people on it for the last 3 hours of the holiday. Nearest thing I've had to a religious experience...

• 3 weeks later...