Originally Posted By: Gary
Once you are fit enough to jog for a few miles, I think its a good idea to turn up the intensity in your workouts. Try running close to your maximum speed for a minute, then jogging for a minute and alternate between the two. If you're cycling, try doing some hill climbs. Its possible to jog/cycle/swim or whatever all day, but if you're not doing it at a high enough intensity, it wont do a lot for your CV fitness.

I understand that school of thought, (circuit training) but not necessary the whole truth.
Depends where you wanna go, what your aim is, and most importantly your age.
I consider my fitness very well when I can control my heart rate to a certain extent, recovers pretty quickly to normal.
I think raising your heart rate over 160 is pointless and maintaining at 120 gets optimum results. If one can increase the intensity under this parameter, that´s great!
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Hardcore Mamabear !
Are u gonna take up triathlon ?
wink
Yes.

But I have a long way to go.
I can't run to save myself! lol
If the Tri was a Bi I would be doing it now wink

Cycle and Swim Fit are the goals up to the Jan ski trip.
After that I am going to do follow 'Couch to 5k' - then it is Tri time!
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Hardcore Mamabear !
Are u gonna take up triathlon ?
wink
Yes.

But I have a long way to go.
I can't run to save myself! lol
If the Tri was a Bi I would be doing it now wink

Cycle and Swim Fit are the goals up to the Jan ski trip.
After that I am going to do follow 'Couch to 5k' - then it is Tri time!

You got it MB! Runnings not that bad.

As previously mentioned if you have the bearings to be fortunate enough to be near mountain biking do it! If you're like me and need to fly through the air and hurt your body every month of the year then mountain biking/skiing is an awesome combo. Both work the core and legs. Climbing on a mountain bike is amazing leg strength. Then the fun part of going down really fast does a great job of exercise as well!

I'm here.

Doing much better.

I went from the Liver Tumor crisis to shoulder surgery to catching swine flu (recurrent chest infections) while in the hospital with the kid with a broken leg. Was a shitty run.

Getting back on top of things now.

Aiming at 120+km a week; 20km a day (with allowance for a day off here and there)

125km bike week before last.

130km this week (including one day where i did 50km in one hit)

And feeling SO much better for it.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I'm here.
Doing much better.
I went from the Liver Tumor crisis to shoulder surgery to catching swine flu (recurrent chest infections) while in the hospital with the kid with a broken leg. Was a shitty run.
Getting back on top of things now.

Aiming at 120+km a week; 20km a day (with allowance for a day off here and there)
125km bike week before last.
130km this week (including one day where i did 50km in one hit)
And feeling SO much better for it.

biggrin lol

Good boy Mitch!

I was considering flaking on the bike this morning - got Melbourne Cup Lunch on today (nom nom nom and slurp slurp slurp) - but now I feel guilty!

Where's my knicks?.... :hoofs herself off to just get it done: lol

If that's on a stationary bike, 120km a week takes some dedication. Still, foreign ski holidays are expensive and you're wise to hit them in the best condition possible. Keep it going!

As for running, intervals, fartlek, tempo running etc. all have their place, but one step at a time. Pushing it too hard, too early is an easy way to get injured. If you want motivation, many many towns in Japan have 10ks, half marathons, etc. you can enter for a few thousand yen. Arguably running a fast 10K would be better for skiing than a marathon. Probably more fun too.

Originally Posted By: rider69
aerobics seriously it sounds gay but it works everything. 30 to 40 mins then cool down with a 20 to 30 min bike. Do that for a month and you will be stronger and much more flexible.

On the subject of flexibility I have to say Yoga is worth the effort. Definately helped my wooden 6'3" frame become more supple.
Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
MB you are a machine!
lol
Hardly!

But I am dedicated at the moment.
Yes, Mr Wiggles, at this stage it is on a stationary bike - my current road bike is in the shop getting a work over, the gears are slipping. But Papabear just bought a brand spanking new one for himself (after I asked him to get mine sorted!!).
The hardest part was the first few weeks - seriously knicks and all I felt like I had fallen from a great height astride a gnarly fence!
The 50km in one go was a big achievement for me, and while I only managed the 20km before I had to get ready to go out today I cut 2 minutes off my time.
I will be thrilled once I can get out and about though - the stationary bike is set up in front of the TV, but I would sure like some interesting scenery and the wind in my hair!

Aerobics was the go for me years ago - but I think I would just injure my knee's if I went there now. grandpa Not suite sure why that would be... grandpa violin
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Originally Posted By: Tex
Just bought some compression pants as well to help with recovery if needed smile

What did you get? Skins? (assumption as Ozzie)

Lots of folks on TGR say positive things about skiing in CW-X. In the US, it looks like they make every model in the thermal material. Most of the ones in Japan are in Coolmax for runners. Japan sizes are pretty small/short too.

Compression gear is very common among runners. Even Paula Radcliffe uses compression socks.

I ended up with 2XU brand apparently better than skins as a bit firmer. I rate them actually

im missing an ACL and start of this yea i worked hard on my exercise bike everyday around 15km and by the time our winter rolled around my knee was so strong, i didn't get tired and my knee didn't even collapse once this season, so same for Japan, 7 weeks and counting....

biggrin

Less with the alcohol methinks!

I am suffering after Melbourne Cup - no hangover, just kidney pain! Grrr.

On the plus side I ticked over 50km on the bike today - admittedly in 10km blocks (was also working my way to the bottom of the laundry basket, so needed to stop every half hour or so and hang out one load and reload the machine wink )

CptSlow, do you use a knee brace while you are on the slopes?

Starting out slow but have big plans

Walking with bursts of running - 80 lunges during the walk - squats - step ups - dips - push ups.

Went for a 2 hours bike ride yesterday AWESOME planning on riding the bike to work 2 mornings a week.

Boxercise once a week and Zumba.

Plans have crashed a little this evening with the news I may have a torn ligment on the rotar cuff. eyes