Well the GoPro comes with waterproof casing and the Contour does not so for snow go GoPro. Contour probably easier to mount. Both same quality but GoPro has wider angle at full HD capabilities.

I got a GoPro smile

Footage on GoPro is great

GoPro footage

I´m thinking the same.

Bit distracting holding a camera in my right hand and boarding. I´ll drag it sooner or later. Check out my hand held action on the euro-alps thread.

Looking at the new GoPro 960 dpi HD. Cheaper and I think that´ll do the job.

I, too, use a go pro. I have used both extensively. The contour is nice but I really hate the side mount. It flew off my head once on a flip and I have never had that problem with a go pro. Really no difference other than that though. The go pro is cheaper, just as nice, and I don't think the contour can take photos too like the go pro?

So it looks like the general opinion is GoPro. I have been reading around the net and that seems to be the consensus. The slightly better video quality and widing lense angle seem to be the deciding factors.

Now to shop around for the best price.....

chest mount then ... it´s gonna be hard to set the angle when you are boarding.

By the way, ordered a powder board for my missus instead of buying a camera. Good excuse huh? Her board being 151 is too short for powder. New one is 159.

And I wanna try it out too.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Go pro would be great if it weren't for how stupid they look. I'm really sorry but it must be said that anyone boarding with one of those on their heads looks like a complete dork!

Yup...that thought alone pushed me towards the Contour HD because it looks slick.

Fashion Pansy!

Well, aside from getting arrested by the fashion police for wearing one of those I have a feeling that if I owned something like that I would end up smashing off of my head at some point. I can't count the number of scrapes on the top of my helmet from ducking through the trees. I guess I just like getting into tight places wink

To further muddy the waters I have recently come across the Drift HD170;

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/drift-hd170-test.html

http://www.driftinnovation.com/

Costing slightly more than thew GoPro and Contour, it appears to have the GoPro camera quality and wide angle lense with a more dynamic shape. Also it has a small colour screen which would be useful for a quick check and a remote.

Looks pretty slick but two things I would worry about:

- the remote doesn't have an led light to tell you if it is recording or not. If you don't hear the beep you won't know if it is recording. The VIO had the same problem and when my friend used it last season he ended up getting a few lengthy videos of chairlift rides instead of runs down the hill.

- mounting on goggles can lead to fog on the lens. It's better to mount cameras like that on top of your helmet to avoid fog from breath or steam from a sweaty head.

My two cents!

lol

No, actually a lot of the times I don´t wear my goggles and it sits on my helmet. I like the open feel. I never liked goggles all that much TBH.

Maybe because I have oriental eyelids, the sun doesn´t bother me that much. I suppose I am squinting, too. wink

Have to admit that at the end of the day my eyes get a bit itchy from UV radiation and I take my eyedrops when I go to the snow.