• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This just in!

Quote:
White ice deposits on trees in Zao mountains may fade in 40 years

Tuesday 16th November, 03:16 AM JST

YAMAGATA —

White ice deposits on trees in the Zao mountains straddling Yamagata and Miyagi prefectures in northeastern Japan may vanish in 40 years due to global warming, according to research. A type of fir tree in the Zao area is decorated in white during winter as moisture in the air is blown to the trees by wind and freezes and then snow sticks to the white ice, pleasing visitors.

A research team led by Yamagata University professor Fumitaka Yanagisawa found the phenomenon had been observed at areas at least 1,400 meters high in the Zao area until 1965 but is seen only in areas of 1,600 meters and higher now. Yanagisawa said temperatures on the mountain summits have risen an estimated more than 2 C in the past 80 years and would rise a further 1 C in the next 40 years, resulting in the vanishing of the soft rime.

Does anyone know how frequently the shuttle bus operates around Zao?

I'm trying to figure out whether we can just walk from the Yamako Bus Terminal to our hotel (Hotel Lucent Takamiya) when we arrive (supposed to be a 3 minute walk) or whether we wait for the shuttle bus.

Thanks!

ceecee - how did you book the Lucent? I have sent them an email but no reply yet. The Lucent to bus terminal looks further than 3 minutes walk on the map, but am still trying to figure out a scale.

Could anyone recommend a ryokan or hotel? I have left the booking process a little late, but am still hopeful of finding somewhere to stay in February.

Hi BHB

I booked through the Japanese version of Rakuten.

Yeah not sure if its really a 3 minute walk hence the reason why I want to know how often the shuttle bus runs around the town.

Oomiya Ryokan, Zao Shiki No Hotel and Le Vert Zao were my other picks but Hotel Lucent was a better deal but can't vouch for them as I haven't been to Zao before.

Thanks ceecee, I still haven't heard from the Lucent but had a positive response from the Tsuruya. The distances must be quite short as they say about 5 mins to the lift and they are near the bus station which is further than the Lucent according to the map I have.