I see Apple are wanting to get Apps going on computers, not just their mobile devices

http://gizmodo.com/5670812/big-brother-apple-and-the-death-of-the-program?skyline=true&s=i

Interesting development.

I have heard lots about the App Store and how it all works.

Can that be a success for computers?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of Apple's rules for the Mac App Store are logical. "Apps that crash will be rejected." Apps can't transmit location data without your permission. These make sense. But the rules get real restrictive, real fast: No apps that are in "beta" "demo," "trial," or "test" stages. Apps can't install icons on the Dock. They can't "rapidly drain a product's battery or generate excessive heat." Oh, and "apps that enable illegal file sharing will be rejected." So, no BitTorrent. Or beta apps like Apple's own FaceTime. Basically, powerful programs that reach deep don't fit the mold for an app, even though they can be tremendously useful.

But Apple's reach goes further than controlling technology: No apps that "encourage excessive consumption." Apps can't misspell Apple product names—like iTunz. Apps can't look like Apple's applications either. Apps "with metadata that mentions the name of any other computer platform" are out. Apps can't be defamatory or "mean-spirited." (Unless you're a professional satirist.) No apps that replicate pre-installed applications—like Mail. Apps can't portray "realistic images of people or animals being killed or maimed" or shot. Goodbye Call of Duty. No "Chat Roulette" apps.

• SnowJapan Admin

Well, we made our App for both systems and it was very interesting to see the differences.

Apple are quite strict - we got rejected along the way - but annoying as it was, I suppose it improved the end result. One of the big frustrations is how long it takes. Once you submit the App, it takes over a week for Apple to get round to "reviewing" it. If you get rejected, even for some tiny thing, you join the back of the queue when you re-submit. So it is not a fast process.

We got going on the Android version when the Apple one was nearly done. With Android you upload the thing and it's there online almost instantly so there is no review process. There's more variations in device specs though, so that aspect makes Android more complicated than the fixed specs of the Apple devices.

It was certainly an interesting experience, with more than a bit of stress at times along the way. I'm not sure we would have done it if I had known just how much time, effort and resources it was going to take!

Having said that, as with the main site updates, the ideas evolved as we started and so what we have ended up is much more in-depth than the initial idea - for example initially I wasn't imagining the maps and the resort or places to stay search etc.

So, happy with what we have come up with but not an easy process.

Originally Posted By: SJ-Andrew
Once you submit the App, it takes over a week for Apple to get round to "reviewing" it. If you get rejected, even for some tiny thing, you join the back of the queue when you re-submit. So it is not a fast process.

That sounds crazy. Why on earth does it take so long?
  • SnowJapan Admin

I don't know, but it does.

Each time we submitted it has been 7-8 days before we got the review.

We have an update waiting now actually - that was submitted on Friday last week, so lets see when it gets (hopefully) approved.

• SnowJapan Admin

It does seem a very long time, and if you do get 'rejected' it really makes the process very long-winded and disjointed. Waiting a week only to be told that the app needs a really small tweak that takes literally 30 minutes to do, and then having to wait for more than a week once again doesn't seem to be a particularly efficient system.

But if you want an App up there, those be the rules so there's no real choice in the matter.

You can put in a request for a speedy review, but I don't know how many of those requests get approved. Ours didn't!

Thanks for the comments. The large part of the hard work has now been done, so feeling much better about it than 2 months ago.

friend

Originally Posted By: SJ-Andrew
It does seem a very long time, and if you do get 'rejected' it really makes the process very long-winded and disjointed. Waiting a week only to be told that the app needs a really small tweak that takes literally 30 minutes to do, and then having to wait for more than a week once again doesn't seem to be a particularly efficient system.
But if you want an App up there, those be the rules so there's no real choice in the matter.

You can put in a request for a speedy review, but I don't know how many of those requests get approved. Ours didn't!

Thanks for the comments. The large part of the hard work has now been done, so feeling much better about it than 2 months ago.

friend

yeah now winter's approaching you can get back to sitting with your feet up, quaffing free doughnuts and other delicious bungs from shops in Yuzawa!! wink
  • SnowJapan Admin

Yes actually, which is nice after all the effort.

Really going into this had no idea how many people would download, but have been quite happy to see that some people have actually downloaded it!

friend

At 0 yen a pop revenue though I suppose it will be a long time before we recover costs wink