good info there NF and higuma, thanks.

My jacket does have the elastic 'n' velcro sleeve closure, but it is not at all effective.

I am starting to learn that Gortex is just one of many patented materials/technologies for breathability and waterproofness. Does anyone know what some of the other materials are that do the same thing?

Gore-Tex is mad by Gore, who also make windstopper etc...

for other fabrics pick your company pick your variation. In general u get what u pay for. if u are really concerned check the hydrostaic pressure ratings of the material or the pore size. its important all seams are factory sealed, and the real test of waterproofness is often the run off lines of the water, so pocket design and storm flaps are important.

I was soaked to the skin last time I went to Nozawa - bottom two layers were wet through all over. It was snowing all day and I did a lot of wallowing, but I couldn't figure out how everything got so damn wet.

Goretex was patented by the Gore Co. - per Milazooka - about 30 years ago or something like that....

Only recently the patent on the fabric technology relaxed - I think that this happens automatically after 25 years maybe ?? - which has allowed all sorts of copy-cat fabrics which do roughly the same thing...

My Phenix gear is made with Diaplex which is like Gortex except that as the internal temperature on the inside surface of the fabric raises the pores in the material get bigger allowing a "air conditioning effect" which helps regulate some of the heat build up that is prevelent in some Gortex.... The neat thing about the Diaplex technology is that they can "program" the temperature at which the pores open when they make the fabric - very techno.... read it on their website before buying the jacket....

Here's a blurb from their site...............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diaplex offers an ideal balance of waterproofing, and permeability - benefits that under normal circumstances are mutually exclusive. Equally impressive, however, is its ability to supress condensation. Thanks to the remarkable efficiency of its flexible barrier, Diaplex is able to offer extreme high performance in all three areas.

Waterproofing

The non-porous Diaplex membrane laminate offers excellent waterproofing performance, and can withstand water pressures of 20,000 - 40,000 mm H2O.

Permeability

When the temperature reaches the Diaplex membrane's activation point, micro-pores are created in the polymer, allowing water molecules to be expelled at the rate of 6,000 - 12,000 g/m2*24hrs.

Anti-Condensation

The Diaplex membrane also boasts a high absorbtion/emission rate. This allows it to absorb moisture within a garment before condensation can occur, minimizing the dangerous heat loss that condensation can cause in sub-zero temperature conditions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also many jackets are multi-layer - cheaper ones single layer and some high end jackets 3 layers of gortex......

As stated seams and such are real important....

My Diaplex Jacket had no Pit Zips which troubled me when I got it but it is no less unbearable than my "Heli-tec (Gortex) Heli Hansen Jacket.....

I bought a new K2 Paradise jacket this year and I couldn't be more happy with it. It is not too heavy yet keeps me warm and definitely dry. It uses Sympatex 2-ply and is rated at 15,000mm.

Here is a blurb from their website:

Quote:
SympaTex¨ 2-ply

The Paradise series utilizes SympaTex¨ 2-ply construction which consists of durable outer shell fabrics, laminated to a waterproof/ breathable SympaTex¨ membrane that keeps precipitation out while still allowing water vapor to escape. Lined with a high wicking mesh engineered to quickly disperse sweat vapor. Garments utilizing this system are completely seam sealed for absolute waterproof protection in snow and rain.

K2's Reactiveª Insulation is so good; it's all we use in all our insulated pieces. When the weather is cool, cold, or freeze dried, Reactive fibers form a consistent network of all-over insulation. During warm spells, the fibers actually move to create micro vents that allow heat to escape. This active process is also in tune to body dynamics: overheating sparks active venting, cooling initiates warming, creating an overall warmth blanket.

Interstingly the tag says: Machine Wash Warm. Use powder detergent. Rinse thoroughly. Tumble dry low or line dry. Retreat water repellency periodically.

I have never washed it and don't think I will. I have never had good luck with washing this kind of gear. It never seems to perform quite as well. Maybe a spot wash if needed.

This is the first jacket I have had with the wrist cuffs and I really dig them. They are especially usefull when using park gloves. I just smelled mine and they smell like roses. I think your problem db is the wrist guards. They hold all that sweat and stank in.

dont give all the blame to the guards.

i just went to smell my wrist guards...

kinda floral too.

wristguards also can be washed (although mine r still naturally perfumed).

in fact if it doesnt take batteries and its dirty or smelly and it fits, throw it in the washer. thats my motto.

No Fakie your Jacket rocks, Man I love that jacket.

I bought my jackey a mistral for less than 1man. Best all round buy I ever bought.

I have gortex stuff for climbing but that doesnt happen so much anymore. Plus the temps are much higher than the -20c I used to ski in.

Layering is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...