Yesterday in the car something stunk pretty bad. I thought it was a combination of MistaS and db but then on the way to the stn the reek was still there and all MistaSparkles gear was in the boot/trunk of the car and only db had his gear on. From this I deduce that db is the smelly one. Yo wash your jacket buddy! You were in the back and I could smell it from the front. It seriously is gross and only going to get worse with the warm weather. But I do think Mistasparkles gear had a particular funk to it, not an especially bad smell but when I put my jersey back on Saturday after it had been curled up with his all day it had an unfamiliar MAN smell about it. I guess thats what happens when you spend time in the man zone ;\) ?

Ink pink you stink it comes from Y.O.U db

I get a funny smell in my room when I open threads with db's posts in 'em. Could there be a connection here?

Sometimes when the doors open at the mid-station at Nozawa I'm ashamed of the smell that must greet the door person there.

I was in the gondola once with a bunch of green looking guys that reeked of sake. It wasnt looking good and after a few minutes one of them did a big lastnightsbooze puke and we had to wait to get to the middle stn to get out of there. YUCK. And I wonder why Im claustrophobic!

My gloves are pretty funky too and travel hanging out the window.

I reccomend the same treatment if db is deemed to be the origin of the pong \:D

Even though my damp gear sat in my board bag for a week and I had to hose everything down with deodorant so that I wouldn't gag after I put on my stuff, I think db still beats me in the stank department.

zwelgs - "unfamiliar MAN smell"?? Perhaps you mean the scent of spring breeze coming off my sweater? "man zone" eh? ...i've never heard that joke before... it's just so funny and original. :rolleyes:

The only part of my jacket that smells is the soft cuff like thingy that has a thumb hole in it designed to keep the snow out of ones lower sleeve. These cuffs have proven themselves as great little stink factories as I put on the cuff, then my wrist guards then my ample mitten. They really do smell af sweat palms. It is akin to wearing the same pair of socks for the entire season.

What is the best way to wash a gortex jacket?

The outer part of my pants, and jacket have gotten wet since the first time I washed them. They dearly need a wash now... Any recommendations for protective spray for before or after the wash? (something that can be bought in japan)

the gore tex, or whatever your choice of waterproofing is, is a space age porous fabric that allows very small water droplets out (sweat) but keeps big drops out (rain). it lives between the outer (wear resistant) and inner (usu sweat wicking) layers of your clothes - its the white stuff. washing and mild detergents should have no effect on its action.

external waterproofing is only useful as a temporary measure. the rough and tumble life of the outside of a garment sees it is gone soon enough.

wash your stuff guys. its not cool to be smelly.

Yea... neither my pants or my jacket get wet on the inside due to that layer of gortex, but the problem is that once they get wet, they tend to be cold and feel heavier. That, and the stank factor are reasons why I want to find a good outer-material waterproofer.

Yo db why dont you just wash that bit at the bottom of your sleeves because I think thats the only bit that really stunk? Dip it in a bowl of soapy water - conditioner works well, and wash that pong out of there. It would take 2 mins

In my experience, if it's the cuffs, there's not much point washing only your jacket. Your gloves will soon make it smelly again.

If they stink really bad, I'd recommend throwing out the inners from your gloves and buying new thin hiking gloves in an outdoor shop (1000 yen upward). Once they get past a certain point, washing them won't remove the smell for very long. Thin gloves should be enough for the rest of the season.

BTW, if you've got decent gloves, you don't need cuffs on your jacket.

NoFakie - I tried not using the 'thumb-hole-cuffs' once and when I stacked in soft snow the sleeve of my jacket ended up around my elbow. I was wearing mittens that have the big sleeve that comes up to my middle forearm. What type of gloves are you refering to that negates the need for these thumb hole thingies?

My gloves actually dont smell that much as all the sweat, hence pong, goes into the thumb-hole-cuff and then my wrist guards, which are leather and hence are really holding onto the stench. Very little of my skin actually touches the glove, only the end 2/3rds of my fingers.

After the last weekend of tropical temps, I am in the market for a spring windbreaker and el-crappo thin gloves. A helmet with a built in refigeration unit would also be great, perhaps I will just get a hair cut.

deebs

My old Burton Universe Jacket had extended inner cuffs (Burton calls them "handcuffs") which ended up smelling really really bad. The jacket was quite thick, which I thought was an advantage when I bought it, but I've since realized that layering is the way to go, especially since I don't feel the cold so much. If I lived in Hokkaido, I may think differently.

My new jacket is a goretex North Face shell. Thanks to one of my wife's friends, it was nearly half price otherwise I'm not sure I would have bought it. It has no inner cuffs, but the ends of the sleeves have wraparound straps with velcro so you can tighten the ends of the sleeves to your wrists. My gloves cover this part and go almost half way to my elbow. My gloves are North Face too, and I got them cheap in the local backcountry shop. The openings are elasticated and keep the pow out, but I'm not sure how long the elastic will last without reinforcement. I don't use wrist guards btw.

When I got my jacket with the inner cuffs, I thought that that must be the best design, but I now think the need to make the material elasticated must detract from its other properties (breathability, water-resistance etc). It was certainly a bitch to keep unsmelly. If a jacket is made with inner cuffs, I doubt the ends of the sleeves are going to be tight to your wrists, so that if you don't use the inner cuffs, there is nothing to stop the sleeves riding up your arms as your experience suggests.

Anyway, all of this is just my experience from limited amount of the gear I've used. YMMV.

BTW, velcro straps can be found on the sleeves of many other jackets, my wife's Burton jacket being just one example. You don't have to buy TNF.

Quote:
Originally posted by db:
What is the best way to wash a gortex jacket?
You can machine wash your gortex at home but DON"T EVER use Powdered detergent... The powder never fully disolves in water and then plugs the pores of the Gortex... You can - and I have - use liquid laundry soap, shampoo or dishwashing liquid but remember that all that stuff is SUPER sudsy and if you put more than about a 500 yen coins size worth in the machine the machine will overflow for about 3 days with suds...

Better yet go to any reputable Outdoor shop that sells hiking stuff and buy the liquid gortex detergent... I know I have seen it in ICI in Sapporo... They also have a water repellent that is gortex safe I think... The best way to do a good job of waterproofing a non Gortex type fabric is to buy the detergent type repellents... You wash the jacket / pants in the stuff and they are nice and shiny as well as super waterproof because the stuff permiates right into the pores of the fabric.