I got an email from BA yesterday - Club World (business) 40% off if you book in the next week or so. It makes a ticket to Manchester about 290,000 yen, as opposed to about 160,000 yen if you go economy. No brainer if you ask me. Tempting even, though I don't think this time.

Anyone going away for a fancy Christmas/New Year, other than to the snow that will hopefully be nice and fluffy and deep by then?

Was planning to take the family for a Christmas visit to see my parents back in Canada. Decided to go see my wife's family in Hokkaido again this winter instead. After this past summer I think it's better to save the overseas trips for August.

We booked the ferry the other day.....off to Hokkaido on Dec. 22...woo hooo.

you are prob gonna be disappointed Thurs.....don't think I'll be eating Haggis over New Year and I def won't be drinking whisky. Might try and get a few of my Grandad knocking them back.....thing is I'll have to be quick to catch them smile

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
160,000 for economy? To the UK in midwinter?

Yes ever heard of Christmas, Mr Wiggles?

I'm pretty sure that way back it was actually more than that for a Christmas trip back.

Yes, it's a day in Japan when people go to work.

The peak for flights is Dec 27 onwards. A day or two before Christmas is normally still base fare or thereabouts.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Yes, it's a day in Japan when people go to work.

The peak for flights is Dec 27 onwards. A day or two before Christmas is normally still base fare or thereabouts.

Dunno about the UK flights but flights to OZ at that time usually go up in 2-3 day increments from about the 15-18th of Dec (just depends when the weekend before falls.)

Last time I spent Christmas in Australia was 2004. Won't be heading back this year. We usually have a few friends around for a traditional Christmas dinner. Having a big oven (such a luxury in Japan!) makes it possible.

Spent 1 Christmas at my Aunts house in Oz, which was a good novelty. Sunny, in the pool all day, ham cooked in a BBQ and turkey and trimmings don ethe regular way in the oven. I liked it but I prefer it to be cold and snowy.....you've made a good trade eh?! wink

^LOL

Despite growing up with images of snow, snowmen, jingle bells on snow sliding sleighs, carolers in woolly coats and ice skating on frozen lakes - the reality for an Aussie (or other Southern Hemi located kid) is hot days, watermelon, carols by candlelight at the local park, and poolside, beachside or riverbank fun.

It is the memory and smells of Christmas as a child that evoke those 'it is Christmas' feeling. Whatever those childhood experiences were.

While I really enjoyed Christmas in Tokyo, and indeed Christmas/New Year in London the year before. I am actually pleased to be spending Christmas at home in Perth this year, with family all around me.

It means a massive impressive festive breakfast at my Mum's with my side of the family - champagne for breakfast (gotta love that)!

And then dinner at my house for Papa's side of the family, beside the pool, meats in the spit roaster and lots more champagne (coz I don't have to drive home).